Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another fuel consumption thread. Sorry! :)

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi guys,

I sincerely apologise about another one of these threads, although I am a little concerned at the moment. :(

Currently, my Supercharged VY II S is doing around 18~L p/100km with an average speed of about 48km/h. This has significantly increased from the original (albeit still very high) consumption of 12 - 14~L p/100km when I first bought the car.
Now, this increase has been quite sudden. In fact, this increase only occurred after I had my throttle body cleaned (I wasn't all that confident about doing it myself, so I had it done for me - a decision I now regret severely - mainly because as I was leaving the complex that the mechanic was in, I was greeted with the sound of my car being revved repeatedly in the garage. The mechanics seemed like they were having some fun).
Immediately following the throttle body clean, I replaced my plugs.

Could this abrupt upsurge in fuel consumption be related to an incorrectly cleaned/reinstalled throttle body? If not, is there anything I should be looking at? And if so, should I take it back to the place where it was cleaned and demand that the issue be resolved?

Thanks. :D

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
I Can't answer your question but I can tell you what my fuel consumption is in my VY II SS.

It has extractors, Ballistic cats, and 3.5" exhaust, DUS OTR and tune.

Just driving around the street, giving it here and there, and driving far from an angel, I average about 14L/100kms @ 38kph approx.

If the sudden surge has happened after all of this work, then maybe your ECU needs to get back into a thythm and relearn itself.

I would suggest to go and get a tune :whistling and or speaking to the place that did the work and see if they have a "fix" for you?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
*shrug*. Perhaps I'll give it a couple more tanks, then.
I wouldn't have thought that I'd have to allow time for the ECU to 'relearn' itself after simply cleaning the TB.
I'll be patient. :)
Cheers.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
jameswh, the S/C BCMs should relearn themselves after 400km's on the first tank. It may actually be possible that they didn't diconnect the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes and therefore it hasnt learnt with the new throttle body. I just reset mine and i like to teach my vehicle to hard accelerate whenever warm, and it still only was on 16K/100km with all that training. Now it's down to 13L/100km after the next tank and i'm still hard accelerating! My average speed was 50km/h when it was at 12L/100km. I think atm it's up at like 58km/h average now.

Do you know if they disconnected the battery? Best to ask them if they did? If they didn't, try that. If they did then take it back and go WTF! I dont trust anyone but me and (friends and family) mechanics! But mainly i do all the work myself! Except for replacing oil sump. Too much work with the L67. V8's and V6's id do myself though.

Good luck with it though.

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hey guys,

Got another question which is sort've related to this issue.

When cruising along, at any speed, once I push down on the accelerator, there is a slight delay in the engines response. It's flat for a second or two, then starts to accelerate. A clunk is felt upon acceleration. Is this normal? Am I simply being paranoid after this throttle body clean? I didn't notice there being such a significant delay prior to having it cleaned.
Once I let go of the accelerator completely, and then apply pressure again straight away, the problem doesn't occur. The problem only seems to occur between lengthy periods (more than 3 - 4 seconds) of not accelerating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Quite seriously! I need a bit of ammo to go back to these guys with, if it turns out to be their wrong doing.

Btw, my fuel usage has gone down a little - I'm not sitting around 15.1 - 15.5. Still not great, but gradually improving.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
DSC00183.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

Thats some photos of mine on the run. Filled up the night before those pics. Got in my car reset the counters then started the vehicle and drove off in residential area for a few km's. I also included about 4-5 minutes of idling in this test. Please note this vehicle does also need a tune. First pic is taken about 10-13km's after getting on the freeway with 100km/h limit. Last pic is taken after getting off the freeway and driving a bit more non freeway roads. And included two flooring instances [flooring from a stop to 70km/h and one to 80km/h] in the data too.

As for the response time. What fuel are you running? Let your tank drain down to as low as your game to take it. Fill it with Mobil Synergy 8000 [best ****]. You should notice the throttle response will increase. Benefits of 98RON fuel with other additives! Definatly helped my throttle response when i was using Shell V Power. Now Mobil 8000 is all my vehicle gets. I usually get more power for less fuel consumption with that over anything else i've tried too, and worth the little extra to use Mobil pumps which pump a bit quicker. You should find only a very minimal delay in throttle response from a stop [about 1.5 second at MOST]. From speed yes it does do that a bit. But from about 40km/h you should notice an almost instant increase. When you do that from a stop or even up to about 50km/h you should notice in the night your headlights level will rise as the rear of the car drops a bit.

If you dont notice any of that i would try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes if you havn't done so already. Car then re-learns everything.