Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another issue.HB maybe.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
hey,just dealing with other issues atm then this happened,did some search and seen some videos and then made my own.pretty sure its the harmonic bal.Just need some thoughts from you all to make sure it is.thanks ahead.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could be, need to run the engine without the belt to be sure. Noise will go away if the belt is removed, providing the balancer is the issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There doesn't seem to be any real wobble of your harmonic balancer.

So, grab a short piece of garden hose about a meter long. Stick one end to your ear and with the motor running carefully move the other end near each pulley. You should be able to work out where the noise is coming from. Saves from having to take the belt off until you have a better idea which pulley it is.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
There doesn't seem to be any real wobble of your harmonic balancer.

So, grab a short piece of garden hose about a meter long. Stick one end to your ear and with the motor running carefully move the other end near each pulley. You should be able to work out where the noise is coming from. Saves from having to take the belt off until you have a better idea which pulley it is.
the noise is only more louder on the HB.the others are fine.did the hose thing you suggested,

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
Could be, need to run the engine without the belt to be sure. Noise will go away if the belt is removed, providing the balancer is the issue.
ok,just removed belt and grabbed the HB and i could move it around 1/4 and it felt like the inside of it was grindy/weird.and the noise stopped without the belt on?.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need a new balancer.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
hey,just dealing with other issues atm then this happened,did some search and seen some videos and then made my own.pretty sure its the harmonic bal.Just need some thoughts from you all to make sure it is.thanks ahead.

HB is fine and so are the pulleys n belts, they are quite smooth n quiet.

You have either a (1) rpm rattle coming from oil pump spring/piston next to HB .... or..... (2) a rpm circular hitting/ticking noise coming from behind HB points to crank angle sensor/fittings ....or ... (3) rpm circular timing chain hitting worn chain damper echoing sound in timing cover case.
Hope that helps, you can find the obvious issue but involves a strip down of the HB/belts and or chain timing cover case.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
ok,just removed belt and grabbed the HB and i could move it around 1/4 and it felt like the inside of it was grindy/weird.and the noise stopped without the belt on?.
sounds like your turning it with the engine off