Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Another kiwi turbo VS

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
Hi all,
Im really new to the commodore scene, I bought one after a long string of turbo and N/A cars which varied from 86Kw to 360kw...

I just decided I want a commodore so I bought one..

Anyway my car is a VS executive S1 manual which isn't the prettiest but im not to phased I will address that later.

Ive set myself a goal of around 450hp at the flywheel and I have made a list of the parts I need and ones I have.

Currently Have:
Walbro Fuel Pump
Link G4 ECU
LC-1 Wideband
TD07 turbo with .98 A/R exhaust housing. 64mm T64 compressor wheel.
Exhaust manifold plates
External waste-gate

To get
Im going to be using a set of R32 GTR skyline injectors
600x300x100 front mount Intercooler
Piping.
Reground camshaft

are the following parts worth buying for the power output?

Roller Rockers
ARP head studs
Multilayer steal gaskets

Anyway.. that's phase one.

any help will be appreciated.

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
I thinkies the GTR injectors wont work, check with delco but im pretty sure they are low impedence and we need high impedence

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
I thinkies the GTR injectors wont work, check with delco but im pretty sure they are low impedence and we need high impedence

hes running a link ecu so it will run low Z injectors easy as and 6 seperate coils :whistling
roller rockers wont gain you much power unless you go higher ratio ones but its cheaper to send your cam to kelfords for a regrind than buying a set of rockers really.if you were squeesing every last drop out of it they will gain a tiny amount in lower friction and mass to move.headstuds and gaskets may only be required if you have gasket blowing issues but its good to have a weak point in the beginning anyway gives excess combustion pressure somewhere to go when it all gets too much

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
hes running a link ecu so it will run low Z injectors easy as and 6 seperate coils :whistling
roller rockers wont gain you much power unless you go higher ratio ones but its cheaper to send your cam to kelfords for a regrind than buying a set of rockers really.if you were squeesing every last drop out of it they will gain a tiny amount in lower friction and mass to move.headstuds and gaskets may only be required if you have gasket blowing issues but its good to have a weak point in the beginning anyway gives excess combustion pressure somewhere to go when it all gets too much

Unfortunantly, just like the stock ecu I cant run GTR injectors without ballst resistors but I should still have some kicking round here somewhere, and as far as the 6 coils goes I cant do that either, I have a G4 storm which only has 4 coil outputs.
I remember reading when I was young that due to using higher spring rates in the valve springs the stock rockers would bend slightly not allowing full lift.
and in the mag they did a dyno comparison between using them and not, with 3 different engines with varying degrees of modifications, and they all showed vast improvement.

as for the head gasket, great Idea..
Will

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
Hi all, is been a while but i have begun.
I started by purchasing a set of blank header plates Off my local exhaust shop (cheers sammo, who happens to be building a turbo manual VR)
and tomorrow in going to Fletcher steel to pick up some 42mm I.D. steam pipe bends to aid the manifold building slightly.
Since Ive got a few days off work I might get stuck into it.

Oh, Ive also started stripping the car's interior as I want to get it as light as possible, which should see all the noise deadening coming out and all unnecessary parts and it might also extend to using lexan instead of glass. Hopefully I can get it sub 1200kg or there about, Im replacing the front seats with some flashey Carbon ones that weigh like 4kg..

Should be good for low 12's!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nice one mate getting closer .many more turbo builds and we will have to start our own turbo commodore car club LOL .

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
LOL tell me about it!

Can anyone point out what is the best engine combo??

E.g.: What heads on what block etc?

Obviously starting with a supercharged engine would be a great start but failing that what else can I do?
Where can I find a crank that will take more that 600hp? will the supercharged engine do that?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
nice one mate getting closer .many more turbo builds and we will have to start our own turbo commodore car club LOL .
Yeah is becoming quite popular!

Franklin cams of Pukekohe did my cam..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Obviously starting with a supercharged engine would be a great start but failing that what else can I do?
Where can I find a crank that will take more that 600hp? will the supercharged engine do that?

Come racing in Oz do Stroker cranks.. they probably stronger than stock