Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another LS1 mod thread but this time for HSV

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thanks evlss1

yeah will keep the maf...not gonna take it of for a couple of extra rwkw.
they said that probably round the 240rwkw mark possibly close to the 250rwkw.
i dont expect to go in and spend a few $K and walk out 250rwkw +
i am a realist at the end of the day.
i will do the mods and see what comes out.

at least it will sound better (like a V8 should), be slightly nicer on fuel and go that little bit better.

i am not after perths fastest street machine otherwise i would take it into marks workshop and pick it up a month later with a stroked engine and twim turbo plus an array of other things but that would be tens of thousands of $$$ and never will be able to insure

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
awesome mate, have fun with it!!:D :D

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
evlss1 said:
mine has a vz maff and intake pipe and the modified airbox on it and on our 2005 dyno day at morpowa it made 241 rwkw. you might get near that 250rwkw but don't build your hopes up.

minux- there is next to no difference these days as mine outdid several maffless tuned cars on our dyno day last sunday. opinions will vary of course but i say good on you deano for wanting to keep your maff.

:whistling ready for the flaming to begin:whistling

Mafless will still gain you a few rwkw but more importantly it gains a few tenths...which is more important :p

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Get exhaust system eg . extractors open up the factory cats, or go high flow cats, and continue with changing the cat back system

next a OTRCAI, the a mafless tune, and maybe a set of valvesprings depending how soft yours are and then enjoy the car.

and then go down the path of camshafts or forced induction or both.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
ok, well i went down to APC and spoke to the guys there and got some prices, advice and now know what i am doing...it will be in stages but the car will be dyno before and after each time to see difference mods make.

Stage 1
Stainless Steel high flow/performance 2.5" twin exhaust with X pipe cat back
Custom Cold air kit
Slightly larger MAF pipe (8mm)
RipShift kit

Stage 2
Pacemaker extractors TriY 1 5/8" with O2 sensor harness
3" round metallic Cats
Custom chassis dyno edit tune LS1 (MAF)

One question: how have ppl found the RipShift kit?
Does it really make the 2nd to 1st miss shift impossible to do? eg: instead of going to 3rd from 2nd ppl make mistake and go into 1st. the ripshift kit is supposed to be spring loaded from 2nd to 3rd.
i know that its not gaurenteed but wanted to know ppls experiences.

Also thinking about lowering it 1" all round but the kit hangs so low it might make it illegal height plus the R8 suspension feels so damn nice.....all these dilemmas

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
also i have read and heard that TriY are good for bottom end to mid range power. they have more of an effect on torque.
where 4in1s are good for top end and improve on peak power.

Is this true?
I am after more bottom end to mid range power so therefore i am heading towards TriYs

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes try's do give a little more bottom end and midrange, its not really noticeable at all. but slightly noticeable on a dyno.

i know sams performance did a thread ages ago, use google to find it, about extractor brands and testing.

If i was in your shoes with your car id personally, go mafless tune, open up your factory cats, fit either try's or 4 into 1's, and fit a catback system. also go a OTRCAI, this combination will put u straight into a 12 sec pass, then go diff gears and a rip shifter.

This is what i do with all customers cars, u have to have a starting point.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
enhancedss said:
Yes try's do give a little more bottom end and midrange, its not really noticeable at all. but slightly noticeable on a dyno.

i know sams performance did a thread ages ago, use google to find it, about extractor brands and testing.

If i was in your shoes with your car id personally, go mafless tune, open up your factory cats, fit either try's or 4 into 1's, and fit a catback system. also go a OTRCAI, this combination will put u straight into a 12 sec pass, then go diff gears and a rip shifter.

This is what i do with all customers cars, u have to have a starting point.
what and after completing both of stage 1 and stage 2 i wont get a 12sec pass???

the diff gears are already 3.73 LSD factory and i dont really want to go 3.9s or 4.11
i have heard and seen OTRCAI lose power on a car....you need to be doing some descent speed for it to be effective.

when i get stage one done in a month i will post some pics of the custom CAI.....the setup is awesome

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
DeanoHSV said:
what and after completing both of stage 1 and stage 2 i wont get a 12sec pass???

the diff gears are already 3.73 LSD factory and i dont really want to go 3.9s or 4.11
i have heard and seen OTRCAI lose power on a car....you need to be doing some descent speed for it to be effective.

when i get stage one done in a month i will post some pics of the custom CAI.....the setup is awesome

yes it should get u into a 12 sec pass, but what time in the 12's (12.2 or a 12.9 thats a big difference in a car).

There is no power gain on a "DYNO" with a OTRCAI, R&D testing at the track and the street in many different cars, just from a OTRCAI is amazing.

And other workshops australia wide, have found the very same result.

Please send link for power loss from fitting a OTRCAI, will be a interesting read. The only air intake power loss on a gen 3 is stock and a ss inductions type.

Im not telling u what to do, im just advising as ive been there and done that many times, its called reasearch and development, where ive spent thousands of dollars and hours.