Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another LS1 mod thread but this time for HSV

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi All,

I bought a 2001 VXII HSV ClubsportR8 manual a couple of weeks back.

i did purchase warranty with it but am executing my 21 day cool off period with full refund because the car is with holden after f*cking up in only 1 week of driving and they are blaming it on driver error and not covering it under warranty :bang: :ranting:

Therefore mods are a go :thumbsup:

Now before anyone says anything, i have read the sticky at the top of this section but from what I can see its for the Holden variants of the LS1 and some of the mods are just to get to the standard of a HSV.

Now considering I have a HSV with some decent gear as standard I wanted to know what mods i can do to it?

I definitely want to do exhaust because even though the HSVs are supposed to have a more "sporty" exhaust its still pretty quiet.
Is it worth upgrading extractors too?
Is the CAI good enough or should i upgrade to something else?

A pcm tune or mafless tune (which i need to find difference when the time comes) is definetly on the cards but probably 9-12months away.

so whats my options and best bang for your bucks?

Thanks in advance all.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Get a good exhaust then an intake and cam from these guys (www.kec.com.au) and you will be doing burnouts well into 3rd;).

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
DeanoHSV, i agree with you about the hsv exhaust system i have the hsv exhaust system on my car, was already on when bought it, and its to damn quite even with the hsv extractors.

you would think with having a 5.7L with the full exhaust it would sound loud and awsome, but nah, its quite and boring.

so im in the same shoes as you, wanna change the exhaust to something better for it.

i also read the sticky and was like hrmm nothing exciting for me to read to do with my LS1 especially when reading about exhausts.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
slundy said:
Get a good exhaust then an intake and cam from these guys (www.kec.com.au) and you will be doing burnouts well into 3rd;).
yeah thanks for that but i dont want to go to the extreme of cams and stuff.
wanna basically do unopened bolt on mods.
eg: extractors, exhaust, CAI, PCM or MAFLESS tune, heavy duty clutch etc

eventually i wanna be pulling 400RWHP but that is probably a good 12-18months away.

i will probably doing all my stuff at APC here in perth....they really know there sh*T

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol 400 rwhp unopened with no s/c or turbo...good luck.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
a s/c could definately be a goer.... :whistling

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
you definately need to upgrade your exhaust thats for sure. you have 2 choices with extractors, tri-y's or 4 into 1's.
i would recommend going with the tri-y's as they have a little more punch down low. get some hi-flo cats and a quality cat-back system.
modifying the air box is piece of piss, there are heaps threads on the monaro 2 hole mod etc. get the car breathing well.
ls1 edit a must, but do it last to maximize the performance of the exhaust and intake mods. you won't regret it.
and then possibly get yourself some taller diff gears, 3.9's or maybe even 4.11's

happy modding
jason

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thanks for that evlss1 :thumbsup:

yeah spoke with guys at APC today and i will be doing exhaust and there special designed air box first. then the high flow cats with extractors later on and a MAF tune.

just with exhaust, CAI, high flow cats and tune they are promising me round the 250rwkw and will prove it on the dyno before and after....
but i am a little bit limited in what i can do due to warranty for a little while but it looks like i will eventually cancel it because i wanna take my mods to the next level

will let all know as i do stuff and put up the dyno sheets too.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I will be very surprised to see 250 rwkw with a maf tune, no otrcai, and zorst. Very suprised.

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
mine has a vz maff and intake pipe and the modified airbox on it and on our 2005 dyno day at morpowa it made 241 rwkw. you might get near that 250rwkw but don't build your hopes up.

minux- there is next to no difference these days as mine outdid several maffless tuned cars on our dyno day last sunday. opinions will vary of course but i say good on you deano for wanting to keep your maff.

:whistling ready for the flaming to begin:whistling