Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Master Cylinder!!!

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
Hi guys, after getting the master cylinder replaced for the fourth time not long ago, it has started to leak clutch fluid onto drivers foot well AGAIN!!! all of them have been covered by holden warranty but this is the last one they supplied. i really dont want to start paying myself for a part that is only lasting under 1500km. clutch has a really high engage point when fluid starts to leak just below the clutch pedal, the only time the clutch engage point has felt right is straight after a master cylinder is replaced. can someone please help??

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Just throwing it out there... they did replace the slave cylinder right? And it was the whole unit of course, not just the inside parts.
Mine has started to engage a bit high recently too and I had mine replaced not too long ago, so I hope i Just need to bleed it/replace my clutch that has been shagged for some tim enow.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not the slave cylinder, thats inside the gearbox, the master cylinder which is on the fire wall with the clutch fluid reservoir attached. i think its just a plunger type of setup?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You might need to adjust the rod that goes from the peddle to the master cylinder. If the piston in the master cylinder is being pushed in until it bottoms out in the bore then the rubber piston seal can be damaged. The person fitting the master cylinder should have checked this after the second failure and they should supply and fit another new one for you too.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
it was done by holden so ya never know how much they adjust things, is this pretty easy to do?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I doubt if they would have adjusted it when they replaced the master cylinder. It is something that you normally dont touch, but if you are constantly having master cylinders fail,then something is wrong. It is easy to adjust but you might need to remove the lower part of the dash panel to get at it. There should be a locknut on the pin that goes between the top of the peddle and the master cylinder. You just have to loosen the locknut so you can turn the pin to shorten it and then tighten the locknut.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
i did it last night, it adjusts the pedal right in? i fine tuned it so the engage point is quite low, before the engage point was when the pedal was all the way out! surely that couldnt of been good for the plunger when clutch was pushed all the way to the floor.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Engage point should be about a third of the way off the floor. I think what you did should stop the master cylinders failing in future, but it wont fix a master cylinder that is already leaking. If your master cylinder is leaking it will need a new seal kit put in it or if a seal kit is unavailable then you need to replace the master cylinder.