Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another newbie thread

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey guys, soon I will be attempting to respray the VN in the original color dorward blue. Now I have never painted a car before but have never felt so keen to give it a go. Anyway, being a near-complete noob on the subject I have a few things I want to clear up.

Acrylic paint - I have been convinced to go acrylic because its a backyard/shed job. Should I be able to achieve the factory or similar look? As far as I understand it would have been 2k from the factory?

Single color - In direct light it looks purple. As far as I know factory paint only had the single base color? Or does this paint require a second color?

Crows feet - MAJOR crows feet on the bonnet. The boot lid too but nowhere near as deep. But I will most likely replace these 2 items as someones decided to drill random holes in the boot lid to fix the spoiler. The cracks on the bonnet as I said are pretty deep and have become a bit rusty. But now I have noticed light crows feet elsewhere on the body that cant simply be replaced. Can I just fill/sand until smooth or will I have to take it down to metal? If so how do I build it back up again? Assuming I cant just lay down primer.

Compressor - 50L 2.2hp, 174 L/min (6.1 CFM) FAD. I take it should be right for what I need it for. Probably just do one panel at a time or something anyway.

Guns - Dont have yet. Probably set a limit of $400 or so for 2 guns (I need 2 yeah?). Not actually sure what they go for but I know theres some that go for alot more! Recommendations? Gravity feed HVLP I would say, wouldnt have a clue about tip sizes. Better yet any recommended shops that could give me some advice? Im from the Warburton area but there seems to be enough shops around Bayswater and such. Will need a good respirator too.

Think I'll leave it at that for now. I had a quick search and flicked through the recent threads but direct answers are far more helpful. :)

Cheers!

VP-CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP clubby 5.0lt 5spd
My advice is practice on as many scrap panels as you can before you start on your car. best thing I did.. as for your technical questions, I'll leave them for the experts on here, they'll be able to point u in the rite direction :p

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I will definitely practice on a few spare panels first cheers.

Sooooo are you unfamiliar with acrylic or you just dont like it lol. I wanted to use 2pak but after speaking to the few people I know who have painted before Ive been convinced to use acrylic. On the basis of I dont feel like heating my shed or buying an air fed hood. How much more toxic it is compared to acrylic Im not actually sure. Just going by what I hear. But feel free to convince me to not use acrylic. Btw, there isnt any rentable booths around here and I would much rather do it at home and take my time anyway.

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
Oh, i just finished this fridge today in my shed with 2 pack.

SANY1649.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
That does look bloody amazing^

Not really worried about the whole shed thing. Just spraying 2pak in the shed, and if not getting a similar finish with acrylic. Read through the whole thread and I still cant make my mind up. If I had the choice it would be 2pak. Wouldnt have a clue if its legal to spray in my area. Not that it would really deter me. But with no heater would it just take 2pak longer to dry? Makes sense to not spray 2pak over acrylic. So the factory paint would be 2pak? Also when I think acrylic I think flat colors, no nice metallics? Cant seem to find an answer for this lol

Oh yeah whole body pretty much has crows feet. Its pretty light though. Ive only just taken a closer look at it during the last few days. And well the bonnet, theres not just rust appearing though the cracks. Cracks have caused little bits to chip off exposing bare metal. I really need a pic to show what I mean. If it was an exec I would say forget about it :p

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
IMG_2488_640.jpg
IMG_2487_640.jpg
IMG_2481_640.jpg

As I said bonnet will most likely be replaced (unless theres hope). I do have a spare but it doesnt have the threaded holes for struts!

I found out its been hit in the passenger rear quarter. I bought it with the main glass in the rear door and quarter window broken. Had the quarter taped up but finally managed to get the back seat out the other day (long story) and removing the tape removed the paint exposing pink bog/filler. Would have been repaired ages ago because the paints as crap as the rest of the car. Apart from the paint its all straight on the inside so they diddnt just bog over the damage and paint it.

With the parcel shelf removed I found a little bit of rust under the back window. Not enough to cut out but it will need some attention to stop it from getting worse. Then with the roof lining removed I found a fair amount of surface rust around the edge of the roof! I cant figure that one out. Again not serious at this stage but Im a bit cautious about it. No sign of rust on the outside. I guess being a 23 year old car with previous owners that diddnt give a **** about it Im bound to come across stuff like this :bang: