Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another NZ Single turbo conversion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
are your manifolds standard casties that have been flipped and modified?

Yep.. only because when I started, it was spose to be a "Budget build" - Oops.. Ideally tubular fabricated manifolds with nice collectors for medium to higher boost levels be better.

I may change them in the future.

Reaction score
Members Ride
are your manifolds standard casties that have been flipped and modified?

The drivers side manifold is a second passenger side manifold simply bolted on and modified by cutting off the flange and welding on thick wall welders elbows. The manifold closest to turbo was turned around, but bolt holes had to be slotted for it to line up and #1 and #3 cylinder sparkplug leads need to change to 45-90 degree ends, as the manifold gets too close for straight ends.. a problem that could be fixed with a custom manifold that side.
I've cooked those two leads, so the S/S clip inside the boot has lost tension to hold the sparkplug :rolleyes:
I've got new leads with 90 degree ends and insulated bootends for them, which I'll fit once it's going again.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
HX50 Holset :thumbsup: Mmm nice.. :yeah: what a/r turbine housing is on it?

Solid roller lifters turned up, Yay! So should have it going early next week.. have to get even longer pushrods, as pushrod seat is lower than in the Hydraulic lifters.. oh well.

I think you will find the push rods will need to be 0.050" longer if they are comp lifters. I still think you shoud have persisted with the hydraulics as they are a good cushion for the valvetrain. Having had a similar experience learning to set preload on my own car I understand your frustration lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you will find the push rods will need to be 0.050" longer if they are comp lifters. I still think you shoud have persisted with the hydraulics as they are a good cushion for the valvetrain. Having had a similar experience learning to set preload on my own car I understand your frustration lol

Cheers. I'm just over the situation I've got myself in using YT adjustable rockers.
The LS1 Solid rollers are quite a bit shorter.. I haven't measured them yet (-10-25mm).
Will pull apart sunday, get pushrods and new inlet gaskets monday and be running.. fingers crossed!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
make sure the grove around the lifters is in the same position or you will end up bleeding off all your oil pressure if you arnt carefull and they arnt in a similar position

Reaction score
Members Ride
make sure the grove around the lifters is in the same position or you will end up bleeding off all your oil pressure if you arnt carefull and they arnt in a similar position

Ah thanks for the reminder... :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahrgh heads have to come off :bang:
New lifters are too long with the link rod extension..

Lots more work :yeah:

Reaction score
Members Ride
P1000969.jpg

Top Hydraulic roller(same as LS1), bottom Solid Roller lifter (Comp cams 8956) - which I've modified the oil feed hole.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
well.....
Whats happened?

Well it's mostly back together. I fired it up, but I've fouled the plugs.. IAT not hooked up, so it's not quite right.

Have to double check the rockers are getting oil to em too.