Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another NZ Single turbo conversion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Hi all, :wave:

Plymouth_69 encouraged me to post a thread on the progress of my conversion, so here goes! ..

Image003.jpg

My Urban camouflage :shooting:

Ecotec swap with following turbo addition
Reground cam (Franklin cams stage 3 hydraulic)
3" exhaust, Walbro in tank pump, MAPECU2 piggyback with 525cc injectors
Converted to T5 Manual, HD Exceedy clutch
3.45:1 LSD
32mm? front swaybar, Lowered more and Bilsteins yet to be fitted.
HSV seats
Boost gauge

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pics

VR N/A

P1000600.jpg

Ecotec swap in progress Mar'09
P1000605.jpg

P1000606.jpg

P1000608.jpg

P1000648.jpg

:mods:

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha the turbo invasion continues nice pics man :D

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
hahaha good on ya for finally posting it up looks great cant wait to see more

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
what made ya do the ecotec instead?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo choice

I brought the car as a work hack, for towing a trailer and throwing tools in the back. I didn't set out to turbo a Commodore.. it just kinda happened.
Knowing :bow: Steve Murch of Motorsport engineering here in Auckland had something to do with it :whistling .. back in the late 90's I was playing with Rotaries..
I always wanted a big Garrett turbo charger.

Some "retail therapy" last year when my partner went overseas for work, I brought a Chinese T-70 for a song :dance:

Image107.jpg

It had been on a 13B and was in good condition, but Steve doesn't like Chinese turbo's and almost kicked me out of his workshop! hehe
I found a Garrett couple of months later, it probably is a bit big, but I had Steve modify it with an adapter to take a smaller turbine housing.

The T-70 on the left and the ex DAF truck similar to a GT42 on right

Image097.jpg

Compressor

P1000602.jpg

Modified turbine (.68 A/R)

P1000601.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
what made ya do the ecotec instead?

It worked out I ended up with an Ecotec engine.. so I swapped to it and sold the VR engine complete.. (I think it's in an RX7 down Wellington ways).
I wanted a better manifold too :thumbsup: (I've added Mace engineering's 69mm throttlebody and insulating inlet and plenum spacers too, which I noticed an improvement).

Also the Ecotec has slightly bigger valves, Beehive valve springs, better ports, lighter pistons/conrods, lower block deck height (weighs a little less).

I wanted to do a low budget (Oops!!) turbo conversion/addition and the Ecotech seemed a good base to do that from.

The Ecotec has good aftermarket bits available, some I used: ex USA zzperformance and Intense racing
and across the ditch Mace engineering, in Pukekohe NZ Adrian of Franklin cams, in Auckland: Turbo - thanks Steve Murch of Motorsport Engineering, Fabrication - Ronnie @ RSL Automotive, Glendene engine reconditioners (ripoff b@$tasds), STA for gaskets and just about everything else!

Last edited:

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
It worked out I ended up with an Ecotec engine.. so I swapped to it and sold the VR engine complete.. (I think it's in an RX7 down Wellington ways).
I wanted a better manifold too :thumbsup: (I've added Mace engineering's 69mm throttlebody and insulating inlet and plenum spacers too, which I noticed an improvement).

Also the Ecotec has slightly bigger valves, Beehive valve springs, better ports, lighter pistons/conrods, lower block deck height (weighs a little less).

I wanted to do a low budget (Oops!!) turbo conversion/addition and the Ecotech seemed a good base to do that from.
The earlier non-ecotec has more aftermarket bits available ex USA it seems.

Oh I see where you are coming from there are a few advantages, Yes I know Steve Murch, he used to do rotary stuff in chch didn't he?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh I see where you are coming from there are a few advantages, Yes I know Steve Murch, he used to do rotary stuff in chch didn't he?

Does work NZ wide.. always been based in West Auckland as far as I know.

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a "happy tappet" a few months back, after removing the rocker covers I found one exhaust valve had lost the tip off it down to just above the collet!
I thought "I can fix this", I removed just the one head, only to find the exhaust valves had recessed about 3mm into the head!! .. so after removing the other head found all exhaust valves had recessed.. not good.
So off to the Reconditioners they went for a crack test prior to me doing some exhaust port flowing with a die grinder.. annd like in the Lord of the rings, when Saraman said to Gandalf about the Dwarfs in Moria "..they dig too deep, you know what they awoke.." I went thru the roof of the port into the water jacket :cry:
So I found a pair of reco'd heads which I carefully ported, then drilled and tapped for 7/16" rocker studs for a set of Yella terra Platinum roller rockers and upgraded valve springs :yeah:
I'll post a pic, they look choice :dance:
But I've had a mission of a time trying to setup the preload for the lifters..
So I've decided to use Solid roller lifters, they're on their way from the states (same as LS1).

Yay! :dance: so should be going this weekend if they turn up

Last edited: