Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another one. Exhausted

franco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN,VP,VX II,VFII
I must say I love an exhaust question. Always so many things to work out.
Just to break it up I found this a semi scientific test on headers.
Yes its from USA but if you can watch until around the 4 min mark it gets interesting.
There is also other episodes on exhausts including x-pipe vs h-pipe this was interesting as some are after a deeper sound.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Thanks for the awesome responses guys.
Who else in Oz makes long tube tri-y's other than Pacemaker and Genie? Does Manta?
Advance headers in SA do a 4 to 1 tuned lengthy and a 4 to 2 to 1 try y, unsure if it will clear oil cooler. I used them on my VS 5L in 98 so been around for ages

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171114-063345.png
    Screenshot_20171114-063345.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 185

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Advance headers in SA do a 4 to 1 tuned lengthy and a 4 to 2 to 1 try y, unsure if it will clear oil cooler. I used them on my VS 5L in 98 so been around for ages
Thanks BVE76!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I’m a subscriber to Motor Trend, watch these buffoons prat on weekly. Suffice it to say an engine tune doesn’t adapt to changes in volumetric flow through optimisation by itself, was fairly crap initially, ie. motor detuned.
Consider all the ooh wow, old-school aftermarket unicorn brand-listing special treatment, and the tune gets... 85 hp/litre:confused:. For perspective that's a poofteenth better than a stock LS3 tune with log headers, original airbox, legal emissions tune with twin inline cats, etc.
I suspect custom 400 ci race block with those mods, reasonable tuned output should be close to 100 hp/litre.
Point is that measuring CFM / HP at WOT without VE tuning will produce same shit result with same shit tune.
All the video does show is how the tune of the 'hot' old small block popular 30 or 40 years ago, was not optimised for the exhaust (or vice versa shows those straight 4-1 headers were crap in first place).

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Thanks NAABBAF, LOL.
I understand what you mean. I'm not looking for the big high end number. What I'm looking for is throttle response, low and mid range torque and finally a nice note. Deep is good.
I realise some of those criteria lend themselves to long tube 4-2-1, whereas the note probably more so 4-1. Ill check out the Hurricane range.
I really appreciate the input, both here and in my PM you responded to.

A race engine is not a street engine. Quoting performance results in race applications can't compare to how a header performs on a street car. If you want 4-2-1's you will have to get them custom made to suit the rpm range you want to keep the engine in. That's how they work, yes, you will probably have better throttle response across a broader rpm range with off the shelf tri Y's but I still say the difference between them and 4-1's is negligible. True performance is matching primary pipe to rpm, cam and compression. And having no exhaust after the headers. Once you bolt on the legal requirements (cats and exhaust) anything you gain in "tuning" tri Y's is well and truly lost.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Oh, and in my opinion, Advance headers are rubbish. Made to fit, not to perform. They are cheap for a reason.

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute

I had a look at the AH website after seeing the post and it looks like the secondary pipe is press bent?

I am still liking the idea of the Tri-Y on a Daily Driver where more usable low down torque is going to be there at the sacrifice of a bit of high end HP.

I'd like to have a look at these internally though and see how much overlap there is on the slip joints, although that may work and as an anti reversion lip too?!!?

I know on my 550hp 383 Holden the 1-3/4" Primaries Tri-Y's were good when I fitted a 3" collector and I even had a set made with 1-3/4" primary to 2-1/4 secondaries and 3-1/2 collector to suit the COME alloy 427 at the time.

In comparison to the 10,500rpm Tri-Y headers on my race car, the primaries look at little longer and the secondaries are much longer. That must be for the lower tuned RPM?

The Pacemakers look good.
ph5387la.jpg
ph5387ra9.jpg

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I had a look at the AH website after seeing the post and it looks like the secondary pipe is press bent?
Yes cheaper but still good basic design and excellent when fitted with a tuned secondary, comes with HFCs for less than a grand. So not really you get what you pay for, these are great value on a budget, $600 less than PH5387. I think Pacemaker's second brand like Wildcats is to Genie.

I'd like to have a look at these internally though and see how much overlap there is on the slip joints, although that may work and as an anti reversion lip too?!!?
I know on my 550hp 383 Holden the 1-3/4" Primaries Tri-Y's were good when I fitted a 3" collector and I even had a set made with 1-3/4" primary to 2-1/4 secondaries and 3-1/2 collector to suit the COME alloy 427 at the time.
In comparison to the 10,500rpm Tri-Y headers on my race car, the primaries look at little longer and the secondaries are much longer. That must be for the lower tuned RPM?
The Pacemakers look good.
Many of the technical answers to the ideal spec for base LS3 are in detail in this post.
Many of the critical dimensions of the tri-y spec for base LS3 are discussed and pictured in this thread. It's worth reading (coz gist gets repeated every couple of days in new threads of same substance ad infinitum), hots up around Post 33.
If you make it to the end of thread, yes I'm still looking into it :)

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Yes cheaper but still good basic design and excellent when fitted with a tuned secondary, comes with HFCs for less than a grand. So not really you get what you pay for, these are great value on a budget, $600 less than PH5387. I think Pacemaker's second brand like Wildcats is to Genie.

Many of the technical answers to the ideal spec for base LS3 are in detail in this post.
Many of the critical dimensions of the tri-y spec for base LS3 are discussed and pictured in this thread. It's worth reading (coz gist gets repeated every couple of days in new threads of same substance ad infinitum), hots up around Post 33.
If you make it to the end of thread, yes I'm still looking into it :)

Thanks Monstar, you know I like a little bit of R&D. :)