Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another rim painting thread.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thanks for those leads. :) I will try the Cardiff distributor to find availability or if they do the painting.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A couple of very helpful calls to Autolac and PPC, and found out this stuff ……….. Eastwood Diamond Clear Gloss appears to be the go.
http://www.ppcco.com.au/eastwood363.html
Surface prep, quick polish with fine grit, wash with dishwashing liquid, dry, buff with cloth, spray light coats. Almost too easy ??,.
But …. none in stock, will have to wait a month (?) until new shipment.
Thanks for replies.

VT_son_of_HQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Withheld
I have a similar project on the go and am also looking for a clear coat for aluminium wheels. Thanks for the info on PPC, their product range looks really good, and the Diamond Coat comes in a tin too. It's just too bloody cold to paint anything at home at the moment.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I've got the rattle can, but haven't done it yet. The recommended temps and humidity ranges are not presently good.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a similar project on the go and am also looking for a clear coat for aluminium wheels. Thanks for the info on PPC, their product range looks really good, and the Diamond Coat comes in a tin too. It's just too bloody cold to paint anything at home at the moment.

I have 500W arlec rectangular lights, which are great for heating up metal for paint....:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I use a blow heater when spray painting.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Finally finished my cheap, dodgy CV8R spare rims.
Got the buckle in one fixed, sanded out 90% of the gutter rash. Spokes came up good after a heavy grit and then subsequent fine grit polishing.
Painted the flanges with Mazda Meteor Grey, and then the whole rim with the PPC Diamond Clear which went over the bare metal. How this clear coat holds up over time will be a wait and see.
I am satisfied with end result, which is not a 100% match to my good rims, but good enough pass to the unsuspecting observer.

Would post some photos of them, if my elderly mechanical/analogue peanut couId understand the instructions on how-to. Big enough head-bang yesterday just to take a tablet photo and email it to my computer.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you used an iPad to take the photos? Totally an old person thing. :lol:

Use the forum on your iPad.
Make a post.
You can crop them down in size and, using attach files button on the forum, upload the cropped photo.

If there is a heap of white or bright parts in the image, crop it out.

B0F129A1-C458-4CCA-876F-D0F032345C13.jpeg

How do you crop the image? Open the image, click edit and there might be a border icon like in these.

3B65435C-15CA-4030-AE2E-B27248D9C6A6.jpeg

Then drag the edges with the highlighted corners in to cut out unnecessary or bright bits to get the image size down. If it won’t upload, crop it again.