Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another silly question from a beginner

PommyDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Hi,

As a follow up to my opening question (posted some months ago with apologies for the delay- I'm FIFO and go without internet for long periods):

I am a total beginner and have started to teach myself about engines by pulling apart an old blue motor.

Anyway after having a mechanic friend come over to look at the block he told me the rot was too far gone in the cylinder linings to make it an economical rebuild, and so I'm just going to turn the block in to a coffee table.

I have inherited another 202, this time a red motor in apparently much better condition and with the original 3sp gearbox in tow.

My question is, can any of the surviving components from the blue motor be transplanted in to the red motor? Is there any benefit to using blue guts in a red block, even if they can be transferred?

I'm talking about the rods, crankshaft, cam etc.

Again, sorry if this is a silly question. I'm learning!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cranks between the red and blue have different main bearings, so doubt they can be interchanged

Cams interchange

Rods/pistons...Not sure

Head from the blue motor can be put on the red motor, but there is a water jacket that needs to be drilled into the red block for it to work...Not sure exactly where, but using the blue motor head gasket, it can be found.

Flywheel, water pump, with matching pulley, dizzy, timing case cover, harmonic balancer, oil pump, starter motor, thermostat housing all interchangeable.

Manifolds and carb...Not interchangeable

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What you really want to be swapping over is the ignition system.
Blue motor had electronic ignition over the points ignition on the red motor

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Some of the bits will fit the red motor. It's been too long to remember which ones but conrods should definitely fit.
Red motors are cool by the way. Blue motors had the horrible pollution gear that suffocates them.