Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Stuck Ignition Barrel - Tried everything but won't move!

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
This happened to me not so long ago. I used my spare key to make it unlock, as it isnt as worn as the regular one. I made sure not to turn the key completely off until I reached graphite powder. Got home and lubed up the barrel with graphite powder and good as new. Lubricate every few months with a quick puff of graphite powder, even the new one. In my last car, the new barrel locked up after 3 months...

i decided to stow the graphite powder in the glove box now lol :)

G'day guys,

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster on here. This forum is responsible for solving many of my small issues with my VZ SV6 so a big thanks to all those who contribute on here...its a great place!

Now, down to my problem...

Thursday night, leaving work, hot day, car in sun all day, try to turn the ignition and the key won't turn. Several four letter words later, i had tried for a few minutes but couldn't get it unstuck. I left it at work over night and thought that perhaps the cool of the night would help to unstick it. I tried again Friday morning but still no good.

I got on here and had a look; low and behold its another common issue with the commodore! I spoke to a few connections and organized a new ignition barrel but knew i had to get the old one out first. In order for this to happen, the instructions say the key has to be turned into the on position...my thought; "thats going to be f-ing hard when it is stuck isn't it!!".
I read on here that with some graphite powder and a bit of working it should become unstuck. I tried for half an hour with that approach and had no luck.
Next step was to spray WD40 in there (and make a hell of a mess) to see if it would help free it. More rattling/juggling/tapping/hitting and still no luck.
By this stage it was 6pm Friday night and i had to make the call to leave it at work for the weekend.

I spoke with an ex Holden mechanic and asked him if it were possible to remove the barrel without the key turned on.
He said the only way was to drill out the bolts that hold the barrel housing onto the steering column and that doing this means you have to be prepared to replace the whole housing because it can get damaged...

I really don't want to have to go down this path for something which, in my opinion, is a complete and utter design brain fart on Holden's behalf (why would you normally replace a barrel? Because it is broken. What usually happens when a barrel breaks? It won't turn. How do you remove the barrel? By turning the key!!!!! Um, hang on guys...that doesn't make much sense does it!!)

Does anybody know of any other ways that i can either free the barrel so it turns or remove the barrel without turning the key??

Sorry for the essay/rant but i'm a bit peeved off right now.
If anyone has any ideas how i can solve this issue i'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Matty