Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Stuck Ignition Barrel - Tried everything but won't move!

throttle_jockey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
G'day guys,

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster on here. This forum is responsible for solving many of my small issues with my VZ SV6 so a big thanks to all those who contribute on here...its a great place!

Now, down to my problem...

Thursday night, leaving work, hot day, car in sun all day, try to turn the ignition and the key won't turn. Several four letter words later, i had tried for a few minutes but couldn't get it unstuck. I left it at work over night and thought that perhaps the cool of the night would help to unstick it. I tried again Friday morning but still no good.

I got on here and had a look; low and behold its another common issue with the commodore! I spoke to a few connections and organized a new ignition barrel but knew i had to get the old one out first. In order for this to happen, the instructions say the key has to be turned into the on position...my thought; "thats going to be f-ing hard when it is stuck isn't it!!".
I read on here that with some graphite powder and a bit of working it should become unstuck. I tried for half an hour with that approach and had no luck.
Next step was to spray WD40 in there (and make a hell of a mess) to see if it would help free it. More rattling/juggling/tapping/hitting and still no luck.
By this stage it was 6pm Friday night and i had to make the call to leave it at work for the weekend.

I spoke with an ex Holden mechanic and asked him if it were possible to remove the barrel without the key turned on.
He said the only way was to drill out the bolts that hold the barrel housing onto the steering column and that doing this means you have to be prepared to replace the whole housing because it can get damaged...

I really don't want to have to go down this path for something which, in my opinion, is a complete and utter design brain fart on Holden's behalf (why would you normally replace a barrel? Because it is broken. What usually happens when a barrel breaks? It won't turn. How do you remove the barrel? By turning the key!!!!! Um, hang on guys...that doesn't make much sense does it!!)

Does anybody know of any other ways that i can either free the barrel so it turns or remove the barrel without turning the key??

Sorry for the essay/rant but i'm a bit peeved off right now.
If anyone has any ideas how i can solve this issue i'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Matty

scud3805

Reaction score
Hi Matty Scud here i had the exact same problem and i totally understand the dilemma you have if you cant turn the key to the on position you then cant remove the old barrel but after about 2hrs of frustration i managed to get the barrel out plus one broken key .. Like i said in my post it ended up cheaper doing it myself but i think i was just lucky (after smashing the old barrel with a hammer and big screwdriver) i got my barrel to turn which enabled me to remove the old barrel because i got it in the "ON" position .. But for what its worth next time i will call a locksmith . I found Endeavour locksmiths in Hallam to be very helpful and not badly priced and they come to you as you cant drive your car at present but good luck if you try it yourself make sure you take some booze with you to help with the frustration

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
And like I said in my other post .... the Holden bloke said just hit the end of the key (remote) inward into the barrel with the open palm of your hand & sometimes that will do the trick. Trying to apply too much force won't necessarily help. Give it a try ..... cause it only has to work once!

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
i can feel mine starting to stick :S not looking forward but guessing i ahould tackle it before it ends up worse. how much did you all pay for a new or second hand barrel. also i have had to replace another barrel in a camry with the same setup and because i am lazy i just got a 13mm drill bit and drilled out the centre of the barrel. about 2 mins and one hell of a mess it span to on and i popped the old barrel out. be careful if you chose to do this. lol

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
With your left hand apply pressure to the key to turn it to the on position while using something with some weight ie hammer to hit the end of the key with your right hand. So your turning and hitting at the same time.

9 times out of 10 this works.

If it doesn't, it needs to be drilled out.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
After seeing everyone's dramas, I figured it was only a matter of time before I got really stuck.

Bought a new aftermarket ignition barrel with two keys incl for $57 at the local spare parts place.

Part no. NIB74
Nice Products - Auto Locks

I know a Holden Tech who does all our work cars & he fiddled with the tumblers so that the original keys would work, rather than having to get the other locks re-keyed.

Jobs done - and no more chance of getting stuck in the car with a key that won't turn.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Coding the new barrel to your existing key is normal practise, we always do it that way.

PeppaDG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX + VS + HT
G'day guys,

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster on here. This forum is responsible for solving many of my small issues with my VZ SV6 so a big thanks to all those who contribute on here...its a great place!

Now, down to my problem...

Thursday night, leaving work, hot day, car in sun all day, try to turn the ignition and the key won't turn. Several four letter words later, i had tried for a few minutes but couldn't get it unstuck. I left it at work over night and thought that perhaps the cool of the night would help to unstick it. I tried again Friday morning but still no good.

I got on here and had a look; low and behold its another common issue with the commodore! I spoke to a few connections and organized a new ignition barrel but knew i had to get the old one out first. In order for this to happen, the instructions say the key has to be turned into the on position...my thought; "thats going to be f-ing hard when it is stuck isn't it!!".
I read on here that with some graphite powder and a bit of working it should become unstuck. I tried for half an hour with that approach and had no luck.
Next step was to spray WD40 in there (and make a hell of a mess) to see if it would help free it. More rattling/juggling/tapping/hitting and still no luck.
By this stage it was 6pm Friday night and i had to make the call to leave it at work for the weekend.

I spoke with an ex Holden mechanic and asked him if it were possible to remove the barrel without the key turned on.
He said the only way was to drill out the bolts that hold the barrel housing onto the steering column and that doing this means you have to be prepared to replace the whole housing because it can get damaged...

I really don't want to have to go down this path for something which, in my opinion, is a complete and utter design brain fart on Holden's behalf (why would you normally replace a barrel? Because it is broken. What usually happens when a barrel breaks? It won't turn. How do you remove the barrel? By turning the key!!!!! Um, hang on guys...that doesn't make much sense does it!!)

Does anybody know of any other ways that i can either free the barrel so it turns or remove the barrel without turning the key??

Sorry for the essay/rant but i'm a bit peeved off right now.
If anyone has any ideas how i can solve this issue i'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Matty
Maybe remove the ignition switch from behind the barrel??

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m sure after 9 years, he might have sussed it.