Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ANOTHER timing chain question..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi guys, I am doing maintenance on a secondhand LY7 3.6 alloytec and have noticed that the timing marks on both banks don’t line up with the marks on the sprockets. (will attach a picture for reference.) just bought this engine secondhand, and it has been sitting for sometime out of a car. would you suggest cranking the engine over a few times, or even hand cranking it? will this line up the marks? If not, what would be your advice for realligning?

TIA
EFBDE155-1641-4FD8-80E2-AEFF54F8D214.jpeg

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Don't worry mate,they wont line up,unless you rotate'm few 100 times :D.Only time you'll see them "in line" when you replace the chains.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Don't worry mate,they wont line up,unless you rotate'm few 100 times :D.Only time you'll see them "in line" when you replace the chains.

thanks heaps for the reply mate! so if they’re not loose at all and have no error codes, do you reckon i shouldnt worry?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At least it's nice and clean.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Sound like chains are ok..What about the guides? Check them carefully ,surfaces must be smooth and even,also crankshaft seal before you put the cover back on.
I would replace the thermostat with new genuine part before I drop the engine in it's resting place with new engine mounts..
Good luck