Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another use for Air Conditioners?

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
Was thinking today about how the outside air temperature can effect the overall performance of an engine, colder the air mixed with the fuel = higher generated horsepower and thought about the possible use of the air-con pumping chilly air straight into the airbox?

Basiclly I'm not talking about turbo-charged or supercharged setups (although I guess it would work anyway) but for a NA engine and supplying colder air instead of mounting an intercooler.

Now I'm not very mechanicly minded about cars and how they're all put together, however the curiosity got to me. I currently have a SS CAI kit and K&N filter so the engine is (hopefully) recieving a good flow of air and during the summer season, the current air temp is quite warm.

How easy (or hard) could it be by using insolated piping to split off from the current A/C pipes and join it to the top of the air-box so it by-passes the air filter thus providing very cold, clean air straight into the engine???

I guess theres some advantages:
1. Colder air temperature to engine.
2. On or off via A/C switch in the car
3. Adjustable fan speed
4. Adjustable Air temp

Disadvantages:
1. Can't use the heater lol
If there is a way to make some sort of mechanical flap that opens and closes the A/C pipe to the air filter via a switch, then what other disadvantages could there be?

I'm sure theres more reasons why it would or won't work but if anyone could shed some light on this idea, it would be awsome.

cheers

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i reckon water injection would suit you a lot better.. and much cheaper and easier to hook up. but i do see your point. it is always good coming up with idea such as this one..

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
alot of people have come up with ideas like this one, trying to use the air-con to supply cold air straight to the engine.
i think (if i remember correctly) that one guy i know who did this said that the engine didnt react well to the gas used to cool the air from the air-con system (freon? gas or something).

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
but the gas wouldn't be used inside the engine. it would be just like using a water to air intercooler..

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
wouldnt the power getting drained from using the a/c counteract the cold air? you would use a shitload of fuel too

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah that is what i reckon too. much better with water injection.. much cheaper and with some setups ya don't even need a water pump, ,ind you. you are better off with a pump..

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
Yeah i reckon the power gained by the colder air wouldnt make up for the power lost due to running the air con pump

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i beleive this has been tried before and the power lost to run the A/C pump is greater then the power gained from the cooler intake charge. maybe try the water injection as suggested but mix it 50:50 water/methanol....... a steam clean with an octane boost to boot. wate injection was first used in spitfire aircraft during WWII(that i know off). has since been used in many applications but it's moslty seen in the turbo charger crowd. the methanol also good for large flames outa the zorst

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yes it does. i think that was the poiunt of this thread..