Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VE Exhaust Thread

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
Hello,
Have been lurking on these forums for a long time now picking up lots of useful information. Thank you all for that. Finally decided i need to make a post of my own though.

Relevant info - My car is a 2011 SSV manual Sportwagon. I don't want a loud exhaust. I don't want to be 'that' guy waking the neighbours up when i get home late. Pretty much decided i want to go headers and back. Not sure what you call this? an engineback system? lol. Also will be getting an OTR and then a tune. If its useful, i'm mainly after daily driving increases, eg under 4k rpm.
However, no matter how much i read about exhausts i cannot make my mind up what exhaust system to get. At the moment i am leaning towards a 2.5' Difilippo system.
I have been to Walkinshaw/HPF in dandenong, but i was surprised they did not have a similar system i could listen to.

If any of you guys have a similar setup already installed and are in the SE suburbs, i would love you to take me for a spin in your car so i can hear what it sounds like. Would be happy to pay you for your time.

Also, i am still open to suggestions. If someone has a different system on their sportwagon that is not too loud i would be interested to hear it.

Cheers,
Stu.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Hey Stu,

A couple of things here, firstly exhaust is usually thought of in two parts; from the engine to the catalytic converter is headers/extractors and cats, from the back of the cats to the tail pipes is called "cat back".

A walkinshaw exhaust is simply a rebadged repriced difilippo exhaust. Of course the perfect exhaust note is dependent on what someone likes. Four into one difilippo headers and cats with a two half inch cat back is an amazing sounding set up with zero drone. Quiet enough on cruise and load when you slip on the accelerator.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Me and a friend have a difillipo system, i have a 1 7/8 header and 2.5 catback (auto) and he has a 1 3/4 with a 3 inch catback (manual), both are loud under load but great on the freeway in regards to drone! We both went to c & a autofadhion and couldnt recommend them enough! Best priced by far and good quality work!
We both also had otr cai's and tunes!
Hit them up via a facebook message!!
You wont be disappointed!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Get CAI first, then Pacemaker 1 3/4 tri-y long throw headers as suits your need now and what you likely want after tune.
Good usable driving torque, fuel economy and low noise.
Personally I would retain stock catback to begin with maybe switch out mid later if you want marginally better performance, or rear cans per your personal aural taste. But switching up from 2.25" to say 2.5" is mainly to increase the sound unless you invest in more serious mods.
BTW a ROTO-Fab CAI is much quieter and for the most part just as effective as an OTR.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
I have an ss-z wagon (auto) with the Di filippo 2.5" system inc headers n cats - further, with an Otr and tune

If you don't wanna be 'that' guy, then don't go this system - it is loud and it will drone

Maybe look at the manta system - i know you can obtain a 'quiet' variant which might be more suitable

Whilst the Di fillip sounds great, had my time over, I would have chosen something a little quieter

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
Thanks guys for your replies.
NZ-gtr thanks for clearing that up for me.
Dime time - thank you I will send them a message.
Monstar- mixing up mods is not something I am comfortable with. I just want to get the full system done then not have to think about it anymore. I mean I already can't come close to keeping up with the misses stock wrx sti, and we are looking at putting a power pack on that too, so I am semi worried about lack of power. But mine is the family car... it's a hard balance. If I had the funds I would just supercharge it.
Chridda - now I'm back to square one, lol.

I do appreciate everyone's replies so far, but given even in only 4 replies I already have more conflicting information. I really just want to hear it for myself.

Regards,
Stu

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No probs, I must have misread what you were asking for, specifically a reasonably quiet alternative to the typical yet quite useless spec you are considering to improve street ability and keep the noise down.
Firstly re your missus' ricer, here's the short of it:
Once you get an SS breathing right and tuned it may get 280-300rwkw before cracking it open. That's 225-250hp/tonne which compares directly with an STi @ 232hp/tonne. Horses for courses is all.
You basically don't want drag race headers for the street, so get some proper street headers, as above. Pay attention to the secondary is all I'm saying, don't just flange a cat directly behind it.
Any catback will not give you even 4/5 of bugger all more power, (performance is determined before the cats). So the typical recommendation of branded, oversized, louder pipes is less BS you need to learn / buy into as you would like normal noise levels. Means you don't need to change exhaust catback. Only if you want to change sound level / character.
Your ECU will need to be retuned with street (Tri-y) headers anyway, so is prudent to get a cold air intake (CAI) and do the lot together. Point is that an over the radiator CAI is much louder and hardly better than a top notch enclosed pod alternative. So yeah you can have a powerful quiet STi beater, without bolting on another motor to feed air in.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm a Manta dealer and I have supplied a lot of systems to people on here. The complete system that I do is 1 7/8" Hurricane 4-1's, high flow cats and twin 2 1/2" Manta cat back. This package is $2560 shipped and is quiet when cruising but has a nice note to it when you get up it. Teamed with an OTR and tune, it's a really good cost effective solution. I deal direct with the manufacturer so I offer the parts at a good price, it is in no way a "cheap" system, I just do them cheap.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
a ROTO-Fab CAI is much quieter and for the most part just as effective as an OTR.

monster where do you buy a ROTO-Fab CAI? Not is Aussie?????