Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VE that won't fire up!

Dorsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2006
Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.
My 2006 VE SV6 is not wanting to start.
It'll crank fine but just won't start.
I've so far done all of this:
New Starter Motor
New Fuel Pump
Checked every fuse and relay on the bloody car.
New Battery
Clean fuel
Had a qualified mobile mechanic check codes. Nothing that would cause it not to start. Only an oil pressure switch code which has been there for ages even when the car was running.
It's actually really getting me depressed as we don't have much money and it's cost me a lot of dollars so far and it still won't start.
Any ideas please?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Last week mine wouldn’t start.

Ended up being a failed throttle position sensor.
Trouble with the VE’s, you can’t replace just the TPS, you have to replace the whole throttle body.

I got a new genuine one put on, cost me $500 supply and fit, and away she went.

Not sure if a throttle body from a wreckers would go straight on? Not sure if they need some sort of programming?

Dorsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2006
Thanks.
I can say that it's getting fuel because the plugs smell of petrol, it's sparking on every plug, it ignites wd40 etc when sprayed down the plugs but won't ignite the fuel.
I'm now wondering if it's got water in the fuel as it has been sitting for a while waiting for the starter motor that I've replaced.
Is there an easy way to drain some out of the fuel lines and tank just in case there is water at the bottom of the tank?
I've never had to undo the fuel inlet at the motor before so I'm not sure where it actually is but I'm thinking that would be the easiest way, attaching a hose to the inlet and letting the fuel pump do the work. Lol.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I had to have my spark plugs replaced also. They were swimming in fuel, because it was trying to start, but couldn't, but still at the same time, filling the combustion chambers, but no spark to ignite the fuel. The engine just could not take any more fuel so it locked up / flooded.

Should of seen the **** that it blew out when it did start though. With the amount of spray (WD40 / CRC / intake cleaner etc) that was put into the intake.....its all clean inside now. LOL

Dorsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2006
Lmao. I bet. These are almost new and throwing plenty of spark.
I've even been down the road of trying the old disconnect the fuel pump fuse and crank it over with accelerator on the floor in case it was flooded. Then put the fuse back. Still won't bloody start.
Engineering mode says battery has 13.4v and goes down to about 10.8v when cranking. Also shows instant fuel flowing from fuel pump. So I'm buggered if I know. I always thought that if you had fuel air and spark, motor go. Obviously not with shitty VE commodores eh?
Water in petrol is the only thing that's left to check really. How do you drain the bloody tank though?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Oh yep - I tired that fuse trick as well. Did nothing.

Before you go ripping your fuel system apart. Check your TPS.

If both you and I are having pretty much identical symptoms and fix tricks....check that out man