Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VR Engine noise

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
1993 VR Buick V6
Rattling noise, most of the time, every now and again it won't make the noise. Appears to be coming from where the engine and the gearbox connect (automatic).
Rattling gets faster as i rev the engine, in park or in gear.
Has anyone else had this and knows what's going on? Appears to be different then what everyone elses noises are on here.
Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could be either the flex plate loose/busted or the balance shaft bearing worn. Both are in the location you mention and both are not un-common in high mileage VR/VS's. Has the gearbox been removed lately?

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
hi mate, you seem to know exactly what i'm talking about. yes it's just had a brand new gear box put in and has made the noise since. so what is this flex plate? i'll look at that first, could there be a missing cover or something? i can see something spinning around, i think it's the flywheel, there's a big hole and you can see right up there. and that's where the noise comes from

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hi mate, you seem to know exactly what i'm talking about. yes it's just had a brand new gear box put in and has made the noise since. so what is this flex plate? i'll look at that first, could there be a missing cover or something? i can see something spinning around, i think it's the flywheel, there's a big hole and you can see right up there. and that's where the noise comes from

yep... you can,

the starter motor has a opening to the flywheel/flexplate/driveplate,

you can see in and see the health of your tread...

to do it you need to remove the passengerside headers, spark plugs, jack the side of the car up and use car stands please, its a must... remove air pipe and pretty much just unbolt the starter motor (will have 3 bolts)then unwire it...

after all that grab a torch and look in on your flywheel...mine old vs had a fair bit of wear on it

give me a pm if u need more detailed instructions

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
Cool, thanks so much for that, I should be good from your description there. Get on that tomorrow if it's not raining. I'll chuck some photos up since i don't know what a worn one would like

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais

sounds like the torque converter lower cover is missing on your car, you shouldnt be able to see the ringgear/flywheel or torque converter by just looking under the car, there should be a cover there between the motor and box

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
welcome.....good luck
Cool, thanks so much for that, I should be good from your description there. Get on that tomorrow if it's not raining. I'll chuck some photos up since i don't know what a worn one would like

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol and skin off the knuckles....lol
You don't need to remove all that stuff. On the VR auto the starter has 2 bolts and by turning it 180 degrees towards the passenger side you can squeeze it past the steering rack..easy as, maybe only a bit of swearing involved.

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
so i took some photos, does this help at all? i'll get working on removing starter motor if this is no good

Attachments

• DSCF0543.jpg
    DSCF0543.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF0544.jpg
    DSCF0544.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 301

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
did you remove something to be able to see the torque converter?(blue thing) or was it like this since its come out of the shop. I ask as you shouldnt be able to see it like that, there should be a cover over that section