Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VS Head Gasket thread...

Zackk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Just did an error check on her and got a 12. So I'm gonna wait for the problem to come up again and try the bridge again and see what comes up.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Remember it flashes 12, 3 times then if no codes found it will go flash 12 again.

Zackk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Still came up 12. Going ahead with changing the CAS, but the harmonic balance puller didn't work out too well for me, it looks like someone's already tried and has stripped the bolt anchor points so the bolts won't tighten up properly.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Do the balancer as well if your going to do the CAS.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Still came up 12. Going ahead with changing the CAS, but the harmonic balance puller didn't work out too well for me, it looks like someone's already tried and has stripped the bolt anchor points so the bolts won't tighten up properly.

Make sure the bolts have the right type of thread, (1/4 UNF type). Some puller kits dont have the correct bolts for these balancers, but you can buy the correct bolts for a couple of dollars at most hardware stores etc....

Zackk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
It's too late for the right bolts either way, the holes are well stripped. Just gonna get a lube mobile guy to come out and have a crack. Not gonna change the balancer, cash is an issue. But considering I have the puller and didnt have to remove the thermo fan I can always do it later. It just depends on how much damage is done to the balancer to get it off.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Your only asking for trouble not doing the balancer but that's your call. Also hope you have deep pockets because usually Lube Mobile charge ridiculous prices (probably why they are called that. You need the lube after they own you.)

Zackk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Yeah I figured as much, but I simply don't have enough money to try and get that done in one hit as well. Considering the lube mobile guy will literally only be pulling the balancer off, I don't think it'll be too much. Quoted $188 Maximum - so I'd expect that to be without all of the pre-req's done and probably for re-fitting as well. Considering everything is ready for him, there should only be 5 minutes of work for him (depends on how ####ed the thread is on the balancer I guess). And if he can't get it off, he don't get paid, lol.

Zackk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Got the CAS fitted today and the problem hasn't popped up again, so all seems well. $160 for Lube Mobile to come and do it, but at least it's done now. Thanks for all the help guys!

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
For future reference you can have a blown head gasket and not have water in your oil it all depends were the gasket burns through.