Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VZ Cruise Control Tread please assist

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Hi everyone, I have another Issue to sort on my 2006 VZ SS Crewman Auto. It is the Cruise Control not working at all. Seems that it turns on, on dash but does not engage Cruise Control. I have been through the existing threads and am not finding a solution. I changed the blinker stalk with a new one, brake lights are all original and working and I don't believe the brake light switch is the issue, etc etc. I took the car to an automotive friend who is still a mechanic and a top notch automotive repairer in town (I left the trade in 85 so am old school and not up on the new stuff or many of the acronyms). My buddy hooked the car up to a 10k device that resembled an IPad, much better than the (GoPoint) blue tooth device under steering wheel I use to provide fault codes etc. Anyway after he transversed numerous screens and selections that only a pro would know, he told me that it seemed that the computer??? Was not seeing the cruise control and he said I should visit a highly respect auto electrician across town (where I'm booked for in a week's time). Further, my buddy said that it may be required to get the Holden dealer to re program the computer??? Does anybody have any cruise control or dealership reprogramming experience that you can share with me, like cost and the process? Perusing the cruise control forums I have not found many cruise control fixed stories that are similar to my fault journey.
Cheers Stars-VZ

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Just me again, great to see that I've had 34 (at the time of writing) odd views of my problem. Many probably will not believe what I have found sorting out my cruise control problem and I ponder how many others with cruise control problems may have suffered a similar differing 'set on' for their cruise control in the blogs. This is my experience. I had a VZ crewman S for the past 10 years. I bought it new from the dealership. The cruise control is a feature that I use all the time. The auto electrician could not fault the cruise control in my new SS and when I picked the vehicle up he showed me how to set it in this recently purchased 10-year-old VZ SS that I shipped over from WA. To ACTIVATE the cruise control, I have to turn the blinker stalk anticlockwise (decel) when at the desired speed to SET the cruise control when at my desired speed. This very much differs from my experience with my VZ S of the previous 10 years. Whereby, I solely had to push the cruise control button in and twist the cruise control clockwise (reset-forward) when at the speed desired cruise speed. The auto electrician did not charge me for his time and effort and I must've seemed like an idiot. I have driven my new VZ – SS for a number of weeks and tried numerous fixes including blinker stalk replacement driving and twisting the stalk eta,eta however I was trick that it was inoperative. I close in saying does anybody believe my findings??? Please let me know you thoughts, especially if this info assists you! The VZ S (2007 January make) only required a twist forward to activate it, and my just acquired June 2006 VZ SS requires the stalk to be twisted backwards to activate it. ???? I ponder the number of Cruise control queries on this website, and how many of those may relate to my finding. The instruction manual for my SS is confusing and difficult to actually decipher. I had driven and tried numerous things to get the cruise control operating, however, due to my experience with my VZ – S I just could not jig it, and for many weeks now I did not believe that my cruise control in the SS was functioning. I drove my first long trip in the SS today and love the fact that I could use cruise control. What am I claiming here? That there are two methods of actually switching cruise control on in VZs dependent not the engine in the vehicle. One method for the S and another for the SS.....Believe it or not!

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
They function in the same way though regardless of the engine fitted to the vehicle, I just can't see a logical reason why a V6 would activate one way and the V8 would activate another way.
Anyway, I'm not here to argue, but the indicator stalks are quite clearly marked with operating instructions from the factory.

My VZ Tonner is the same process to operate the cruise control as your SS Crewman:
# Press button on end of indicator stalk & then twist the end of the stalk anti-clockwise to activate the cruise when you are at your desired cruising speed.

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Pics of VY/VZ indicator stalk
Stalk 1.jpg

Stalk.jpg

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Yep pics make me feel a goose, it's written on the stalk I see (don't often have my head under the steering wheel to read) however 10 years doing contrary in the V6.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Could someone with a VY/VZ V6 possibly post up a photo of their indicator stalk please to confirm it is the same as the pics I posted above

Last edited:

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
My 2006 VZ V6 Acclaim is the same as the photo above.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
My 2006 VZ V6 Acclaim is the same as the photo above.

My Senator also has same stalk.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I used to work at a spare parts store and sold a few of these whilst working there:
Part # NBS76B Combination Switch to suit VXII to VZ with Cruise Control
As I didn't want to go and start an argument with the OP about how the switch operated, I asked for other members input on this subject.
I know for a fact that these stalks were used from the VX series II through to the VZ, and that there is no difference in the part number between the V6 and V8 powered vehicles. Well not for the aftermarket part anyway.
At the end of the day the OP's switch may have been wired incorrectly too ?

Last edited:

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Yeah me again I started this Thread, has me stumped! Push the button on end of stalk (VZ S Manual) and twist forward when speed was achieved? SS as said before twist down to set initial speed, I'm just repeating myself! I'm happy now SS Cruise Control is sorted and great! I'm loven it! Starz-VZ-VZ (seems I have two sign on accounts?)