Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another 'what wheels to get' thread

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thanks for the replies everyone. Main reason i looked at 20s, is because those rims i put up, i have only ever seen in 20s.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what rims i should try out then? be it 19" or 20"

So if i go with 19s, and get 20mm drop, will i require the camber kit, guards rolled or coil overs? What the cost on the 20mm drop from most suspension workshops? I havent looked into this before.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
I just had mine lowered on the weekend at 'Dunlop Spot On' and it cost $450 for 20mm front and 40mm rears..This included fitting, front wheel alignment and rear camber/toe adjustment.

I did not replace factory shocks, as the same place quoted around $1400 for a complete shocks & springs package.

Driving it since I have found that the camber has only marginally been affected..Not enough to impact tyre wear,

The rear tyres do rub the top of the wheel well but mine is alot lower than wat ur looking at doing.

All in all I think if u get a similar package to mine, u definately wont need a camber kit, but maybe push back ur inner rear guards (if u choose 20").

20mm front and back and i cant see and problems heading ur way mate.

Here is a pic of my vz. Just picture the rear level with the front.

P1011650.jpg

Last edited:

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
If you do lower it, A camber kit and rolling the gaurds aint going to help it. To fit them, You'll need coil over suspension and the works done, If you wanna lower it and put 20's on it properly.
But do what you want, But 20's will tear through your tyres so much quicker.
Just go 19's. 1" different isnt really going to make a difference, And they're are so many more bonuses. As in, No where near as much wear as the 20's. Smoother ride, ect ect.

Anyway, Good luck.

Are you speaking from experience?

I have 20's on my VZ it is lowered a bit (equivalent to SL front and SSL rears) Tyres are wearing great, have had the 20's on for just over 6 months now and they are wearing quite well and far from "tearing through tyres" and no different to my old VY Acclaim with 19's or any other car I have owned (various wheel sizes and profiles from 16's to 19's on those too)

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Not sure about the legal side but I did ride somewhere on the forum you can only legally go 2" bigger than the stock rims that come on that model???

Someone else here may know the QLD laws a little better.

I have a VY SS and can go to 20" as the stock wheels where 18"

Anyone know the answer to the legal question???

daniel555

Custom VY Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Yep, I am speaking for experiance, My uncle owns a Bridgestone Tyre place.
When they put 20's on a car, Without coil over suspension, And the works done, The only way they can fit them is using the wrong tyre size. Its dangerous, And unsafe. Yeah they look good, But 19's are they way to go unless getting your whole suspension done.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
that foe the replies and pics everyone. Can anyone recommend me some nice looking rims, be it 19" or 20" ?

as for coilovers, ive looked into those, but at $1500-$2000 a set i cant justify it.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
When they put 20's on a car, Without coil over suspension, And the works done, The only way they can fit them is using the wrong tyre size. Its dangerous, And unsafe.

by this do u mean they stretch the tyre over the rims? I know a few ppl that hav this done, and the tyre rolls partially off of the rim with hardcore cornering..hence unsafe

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
I do not run coilovers, there is only one correct load rated tyre on the market to suit VY-VZ.. and its 245/30 20, those that try and stretch a 225 on are using incorrect tyres I agree with you there, but there is a correct tyre, I research everywhere to make sure my car was legal and it is. I have them on my car and I do not have coilovers, I am not scrubbing tyres and I dont even run a camber kit as said previously Im not dragging on the ground low, it is only lowered a little. could go a bit lower though, but not needed for my purpose.

My car

22122008070.jpg

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Looks nice 'Travy'.. better height than mine. More practical. I'm sick of mine already lol