Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any common problems on VE series I or II that I should look out for?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If that was true, people should stop driving any overhead cam Falcon motor since 1988 because they all do this once they're no longer new.

It's not necessarily a sign of any problem with an alloytec either.
Maybe it's a characteristic of the Falcon and not related to any underlying issue as such, i don't know.

But from what people have said about the Holden V6's, they have a PCV breathing deficiency which gums things up when poor oil change habits are followed. In such cases, the chain tensioners gum up cause chain rattles amoungst other issues. Meanwhile a stretchy chain doesn't help the situation. So, with Holden V6's, a rattle on start up can be an indication of problems and warrants more inspection including checking service books. Since these cars are common as, walking away is simpler and much easyer in such cases.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Maybe it's a characteristic of the Falcon and not related to any underlying issue as such, i don't know.

But from what people have said about the Holden V6's, they have a PCV breathing deficiency which gums things up when poor oil change habits are followed. In such cases, the chain tensioners gum up cause chain rattles amoungst other issues. Meanwhile a stretchy chain doesn't help the situation. So, with Holden V6's, a rattle on start up can be an indication of problems and warrants more inspection including checking service books. Since these cars are common as, walking away is simpler and much easyer in such cases.

It's more a characteristic of chain-driven OHC motors which require solid oil pressure to keep chain(s) tensioned, which most engines lack at cold start, and not a sign of a stretched chain. Age/wear exacerbates things. But the oil/PCV issues you mention don't help matters with the Alloytec.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would be checking the pedal plate that has the booster, brake pedal and accelerator.
These have a design flaw that leads to structural rusting.

eBay have a few that show signs of rust.

Wreckers i've spoken to say it's not unheard of.

You need to peel back the carpet a bit and it's all hidden behind the insulation inside and outside.
It is accessible with some diligence.

*Of note, they did these from plastic in the VF.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon