Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any difference between 18 and 19 MY?

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
The need never got too strong to buy one of these (still lurking), but there's defo a difference in the MyLink. The '19 one's have 'nattier'/ nicer (I think) icons when connected to a phone (I'm on Android) but other than that (and the 5year warranty) there's no other obv differences.

Gotcha, so its just aesthetics being the only difference. I could still do with a nicer look, like the one that someone posted. Someone on here suggested that Holden allow the customer to perform updates (at their own risk) which I think is a great idea - no different to phone updates, except download it to USB from a computer and bingo!

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The difference is more than just the screen presentation. The earlier ones use the Blackberry QNX OS (which to my mind looks better) and the later ones use an Android based OS. I'm not sure it's practical to swap one for the other.

I'm sure it's possible to update each version QNX or Android, assuming updates are available but swapping between each version is a different story from what I've been able to figure out. Happy to be proved wrong.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yep, the 7" screen

With the rs if you have a my19 or below it is the old one and if you have a my20 it is the new one.

There are some other differences like the steering wheel controls.
to retro fit the new box into the rs you will need these controls, harness and the clockspring, but you can keep your old wheel
20210406-130408.jpg

20210406-130438.jpg

the wheel controls send different messages over the can so you need them to be able to control the radio.
the old controls may operate some of it but without getting my hands on a my20 unit i can only speculate.

once i get the my20 box i will be able to mess around with putting the large lcd cluster in too, it requires the same steering wheel control change.
i have both the red and silver needle variants to screw with.

20210406-131559.jpg

Last edited:

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
With the rs if you have a my19 or below it is the old one and if you have a my20 it is the new one.

There are some other differences like the steering wheel controls.
to retro fit the new box into the rs you will need these controls, harness and the clockspring, but you can keep your old wheel
20210406-130408.jpg

20210406-130438.jpg

the wheel controls send different messages over the can so you need them to be able to control the radio.
the old controls may operate some of it but without getting my hands on a my20 unit i can only speculate.

once i get the my20 box i will be able to mess around with putting the large lcd cluster in too, it requires the same steering wheel control change.
i have both the red and silver needle variants to screw with.

20210406-131559.jpg
Awesome! So if the screen is bigger than the current one - will you need to replace the dash so it fits snug?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Can you explain the steering wheel controls? I have the steering wheel controls you picture but I have a red needles DIC display and what I believe is the QNX OS 8" touchscreen.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Awesome! So if the screen is bigger than the current one - will you need to replace the dash so it fits snug?

No the physical shape/size of the cluster is the same with the same mounting points.

Can you explain the steering wheel controls? I have the steering wheel controls you picture but I have a red needles DIC display and what I believe is the QNX OS 8" touchscreen.

The lower spec pre my20 models have different wheel controls and they send different messages over the can.
holden-commodore-sportwagon-interior.jpg

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks for the info on the switches.

I am a bit confused about the touchscreen now. In you picture you have the the earlier steering wheel buttons but the touchscreen seems to be showing the later version OS.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks for the info on the switches.

I am a bit confused about the touchscreen now. In you picture you have the the earlier steering wheel buttons but the touchscreen seems to be showing the later version OS.

Touchscreen has the old os found on the pre my20 models

jack posted the different types here

1617275878320-1.png

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Right oh, now I see what the story is.

The MY 19 and earlier 7" screen is very different to the 8" screen of the same era. Since the MY20 7"and 8" had very similar graphics I assumed the same applied for the MY 19 models. I have this screen. If I read correctly what your up to it's almost a plug and play between the MY 19 and MY 20 screens if you have the later steering wheel buttons. Is that correct?
1617691017100.png