Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any drafts-peoples on here?

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
hey guys I am doing my foundation work to become a draftsman, and was wondering if someone could help me out. I am doing an AutoCAD course and have hand drafting proficiencies but have now hit a dead end...

Does anyone know of any training organisations etc that do a course on Revit or ArchiCAD,? Tafe can't help me out and I have spoken to a few drafting companies and all they tell me is "we only hire people with experience" and "we don't do training" etc. :bang:

I've also tried careerpartner, neato, adecco and manpower (employment services here in QLD) and have pulled up at a dead end.

CQ Uni do a short (1 semester) course, but it's only to do with engineering drawings (AutoCAD and ProDesktop) which isn't what I'm looking for...

Anyone??

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
yeah Karel*CAD do Revit courses...I used to work for them as a drafter...back when revit was only new, moved on and now do survey drafting. Karel*CAD ran courses daily, revit and advanced revit, not sure if they still do...pretty positive they would.

They are located in Brisbane over at Upper Mt Gravatt.

Pretty much look for junior roles to get in the door because it's quite hard to pick up a decent paying drafting job with little or no experience...most places want at least 2 years on job knowledge.

Anyway goodluck with it :thumbsup:

Edit...Here you go
Karel*CAD

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
fantastic, thanks mate.

I'll get in contact with them today..

yeah the trend seems to be "we only take experienced people" but nobody wants to train you to become the "experienced people"... What happens in 20 years time when all the "experienced people" retire and there is a shortage of labour because no-one would take on untrained employees 20 years ago? Just a thought...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah a lot of places will shoot themselves in the foot with that.

Let me know how you get on, I've been doing GIS and CAD since early 2002 at Ergon, have been offered a jump into civil drafting but I'd need some training before I was back up to that level.

Latest jobs been mainly GIS so I haven't been using the CAD as much.

Chris

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
the Karel link above looks great, but I still can't find any info on ArchiCAD...
i guess buying a copy and figuring it out the hard way might work, but it's gonna suck, lol