Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any golfers out there?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hey all,
I've decided to take up golf again. I used to play every week before my kids were born but kids and extra work responsibilites caused me to give it away. Now i'd like to get back into it but i need a set of clubs, the set i was using were old and have since been passed on so i thought i would buy a new set but i don't want to spend heaps so anybody have any advice on what to buy?
Have been looking on ebay and the like and the Dunlop name seems to pop up a bit, are they any good?
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.:D

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
depends on what you define as pricey, kmart do a set of dunlops for about $250 but at the same time most golf stores do a basic set for around the 3-400 mark

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Dunlop, maybe once upon a time, but sound like department store cheap stuff to me.

Ebay is good for second hand clubs.
The top brands still command much more than you are looking to pay, but lesser regarded brands such as macgregor, srixon, brosnan and maxfli are cheaper but might be still pushing $300+ if you are looking for the whole kit including bag and buggy.

I think there was and ad for a brosnan set for $300 at either drummonds, house of golf, etc during the masters telecast and a full set of topflite clubs for $225 looked good also.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunlop, maybe once upon a time, but sound like department store cheap stuff to me.

Ebay is good for second hand clubs.
The top brands still command much more than you are looking to pay, but lesser regarded brands such as macgregor, srixon, brosnan and maxfli are cheaper but might be still pushing $300+ if you are looking for the whole kit including bag and buggy.

I think there was and ad for a brosnan set for $300 at either drummonds, house of golf, etc during the masters telecast and a full set of topflite clubs for $225 looked good also.

Ahh righto, might give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
There's also an online store, alternativegolf - I think they're based in brisbane and they'll send you out some demo clubs for trial.

iSeekGolf is another good website with reviews and advice.

I've been playing since I was a youngen, but I've been getting into it a bit more of late, trying to play once a week at minimum. I'm still hitting over 100 for the 18 though, so I need more practice yet. Getting there.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
There's also an online store, alternativegolf - I think they're based in brisbane and they'll send you out some demo clubs for trial.

iSeekGolf is another good website with reviews and advice.

I've been playing since I was a youngen, but I've been getting into it a bit more of late, trying to play once a week at minimum. I'm still hitting over 100 for the 18 though, so I need more practice yet. Getting there.

Cheers mate, will have a look.
I've always enjoyed playing and i'm looking forward to getting back into it. My best from memory was around the 110 mark for 18 so yeah, practice is needed.:yeah:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
....Ebay is good for second hand clubs.

Ebay is a great place for buying brand new clubs also. I picked up a brand new set of Tommy Armour 845U iron from the US and paid about $300 including shipping. They retailed for about $700 in Australia at the time. I also found my driver brand new on ebay. An Adams Tight Lies driver for $99. Retailed for over $300.

Commsirac, what do you mean Macgregor and Srixon are lesser regarded brands? Those two are fantastic brands.

Juzo, what are you after? The full set (bag, buggy, irons, driver) or just irons and driver? Where are you located? With golf clubs you generally get what you pay for. Plus the better the clubs the more enjoyable the game becomes. If you're shooting around the 110 mark you want a set of irons with os (oversize) heads that are more forgiving for miss hits.

Where are you located? In NSW we have golfmart and in VIC, QLD, and SA they go by the name of Golfworld. Golf World. Have a look at their online easter catalogue and store locations. Golf mart are great.

The other option is try a set of clubs out in the store, pay a few extra dollars and have them fitted to your height and swing. Well worth the money if you can afford it. The second option is try clubs out in the store, find what you like and then try find the same clubs online at a cheaper price. Even if you buy from the store, never pay the sticker price. Always haggle.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ebay is a great place for buying brand new clubs also. I picked up a brand new set of Tommy Armour 845U iron from the US and paid about $300 including shipping. They retailed for about $700 in Australia at the time. I also found my driver brand new on ebay. An Adams Tight Lies driver for $99. Retailed for over $300.

Commsirac, what do you mean Macgregor and Srixon are lesser regarded brands? Those two are fantastic brands.

Juzo, what are you after? The full set (bag, buggy, irons, driver) or just irons and driver? Where are you located? With golf clubs you generally get what you pay for. Plus the better the clubs the more enjoyable the game becomes. If you're shooting around the 110 mark you want a set of irons with os (oversize) heads that are more forgiving for miss hits.

Where are you located? In NSW we have golfmart and in VIC, QLD, and SA they go by the name of Golfworld. Golf World. Have a look at their online easter catalogue and store locations. Golf mart are great.

The other option is try a set of clubs out in the store, pay a few extra dollars and have them fitted to your height and swing. Well worth the money if you can afford it. The second option is try clubs out in the store, find what you like and then try find the same clubs online at a cheaper price. Even if you buy from the store, never pay the sticker price. Always haggle.

Cheers scooter.
I'm after the whole kit. I have a buggy but it's a bit past it and will probably replace it too. I'm in victoria. I'll have a look at that website you have linked there. It's just that there is alot of brands out there and i don't want to get something crappy that i'll have to replace because they fall to bits on me but then again, don't want to spend much more than $300 which is why i was looking at ebay.