Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Harley riders???

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
And do you have different laws in Canberra? Because there is no way I thought that is on the LAMS list for learner legal bikes in NSW.

It's the same here in Tas. The best learners get are a 250cc. There are exemptions, but they're pretty extreme. For example, my step-mother is 6 foot 3, and didn't qualify for a larger bike so you could imagine what that was like for her riding a 250....

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
It's the same here in Tas. The best learners get are a 250cc. There are exemptions, but they're pretty extreme. For example, my step-mother is 6 foot 3, and didn't qualify for a larger bike so you could imagine what that was like for her riding a 250....

In NSW LAMS bikes are up to 660cc but also as long as they dont exceed a certain power/weight ratio. Eg, my 600cc ZX6R isnt LAMS as its way over the power/weight limit

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
the LAMS list is a joke. they say its all power to weight but theres still some bikes that fall through the cracks. like the aprilia sxv. wtf. i wanna buy one as a racebike but havent got the cash yet. maybe sell my other bikes.

but yeah look for something japanese cruiser style, way better to ride and build quality. i dont know about you, but i wouldnt like to buy something then 6 months later all the chrome has gone dull and rusty...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I can testify to that first hand. A Japanese cruiser is better quality and nicer to ride than a Harley.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
In NSW LAMS bikes are up to 660cc but also as long as they dont exceed a certain power/weight ratio. Eg, my 600cc ZX6R isnt LAMS as its way over the power/weight limit

Ah, I've just looked it up and Tasmania has since implemented similar laws to NSW. My Step-mother was on her learners in 2005-2006.

Prior to 1 July 2007, Tasmania had a maximum 250cc engine capacity restriction for motorcycle learners and for all riders in their first year. Tasmania introduced the same restrictions as NSW on 1 July 2007. Power to weight combined with a maximum engine capacity of 660cc

That seems much more reasonable. I'm a shorty and the Kawasaki GPX250 felt small even when I sat on it!

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
I'm a shorty and the Kawasaki GPX250 felt small even when I sat on it!

I had a GPX250 as my first road bike to. lol. If you think they are tiny, try sitting on one of the new Minja (Mini Ninja) 250's. LOL. Im 5'6, 55kg and even I feel like Id break one.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
I had a GPX250 as my first road bike to. lol. If you think they are tiny, try sitting on one of the new Minja (Mini Ninja) 250's. LOL. Im 5'6, 55kg and even I feel like Id break one.

correct me if im wrong, but arent the gxp250 and the ninja 250r EXACTLY the same bike, just with different fairings? i once rode a mates 250 ninja and i'm 6 foot and 95kg. it was so slow and small, no idea why anyone would buy one haha.

i'm not sold on the victory bikes, they are owned by CAN AM arent they? the can am/bombardier quad bikes are terribly built so i cant imagine that the bikes are much better..

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
I can testify to that first hand. A Japanese cruiser is better quality and nicer to ride than a Harley.

Yeah but it probably would't go down to well with the club i'm riding with. I've heard the new Harley's actually have Japanese parts in them. They started doing this in 2006 i was told.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
So what your saying is you want to spend $20k+ on a bike so as to fit in to the club instead of paying less for a better bike but are afraid of the ridicule?.... rigggggght. lol.

And tbh old mate, I havnt researched the differences between the GPX and the new Minjas. Engines would more then likely be the same. But frame and suspension are all completely different. The minja feels heaps smaller then my gpx did tho. Minja has what look and feel like bicycle tyres on them as well. lol.