Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lukesta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
hello guys, new to the thread here and i have a problen, i am no mechanicor anything like that, but i have a fair idea on how things work, and im wondering which to attack first, i want your opinion

any story is as follows, one day was driving one sunday heading towards the great ocean road for a cruise and all i hear is a huge bank, and puff of white smoke everywhere, got the car home, ( towed of course )

the car idles ok, little hick up here and there, but when u slowly accelerate to about 1100-1200rpm it drops to about 800 and runs like a pig, like it goes into limp mode for a second.
rev limit hits on 2000 rpm, my guess that maybe the head cracked or the turbo went but if the turbo blows the car should really run at all should it, i cannot smell a coolant smell out of the exhaust plus the cooling system isnt pressurizing like nuts, oil hasn't gone coffee on me ( vehicle is running rich as always but also)

UNDER CONSTANT BOOST, the blowoff valve was blocked off for some reason, beat me, and everything of course come loose because of the CB

anyway i did a computer test and this is what codes i have

12 - air flow meter circuit - have replaced and has been tuned correctly
14 - vehicle speed sensor circuit - original vehicle was auto but now have manual box in it, will explain
21 - throttle switch circuit
23 - neutral switch circuit
24 - ignition switch circuit
34 - detonation sensor circuit
31 - aircon circuit ( ignoring this because aircon was removed to make room for intercooler ) along time ago

i have done the CAS and bearing etc ( this cause the vehicle not to run along with the AFM a while back ) also had new plugs, leads and also put in new injectors and fuel pump and inline fuel filter

just too top it off, this vehicle was auto but had a box put in it a good 10 years ago, maybe a lil more, vehicle has sat in the shed undercover all its life only had it running the last 1 1/2 years, bought of good mate of mine, before it was parked up it had engine work down at pav-tek, and he doesn't really remember what he had done besides he told me i think it was flat racing piston or something like that, had the conversion to man and diff upgrade along with brake front and rear upgrade

so yeah, where should i start? haha

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
No real idea but maybe it over boosted and caused an engine issue, or the turbo side could have a problem.

From what I can remember white smoke out the exhaust is a turbo oil seal.
It might be a good idea to check the turbo, wastegate and BOV as well as all intercooler lines. Then if that's all good start looking into the engine.

lukesta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
forgot to say no intercooler is installed, its just been collecting dust on the shelf, i have done compression test, thats all good

my dad looked at the turbo when i was at work, the BOV is blocked ( beats my why it was ) havnt checked the wastegate, he said cylinder 5 and the exhaust manifold had all black sludge looking stuff in it, my thoughts where maybe the rings on the piston but all cylinders are going 130+ psi i suspect maybe a spark failure or the injector has just stayed open, i removed the plugs all one by one and they all affected the engine but have not checked the injectors yet

dont think oxy sensors would affect that at all or maybe the head has well and truly, it just splurt black blops and abit of liquid out the exhaust but doesnt have a coolant smell, it has a rich fuel smell to it, but no more smoke either black or white