Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Information on rebuild ecotec, Cam/Heads/Manifold.

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
Hello all, i have recently been looking at new gear to do a minor rebuild on my spare ecotec that i have sittting in my shed.

I have been looking on a few websites in the US for 3800 cams/heads/rockers etc.

And i just want some advice from anyone who has used the parts, or knows more about them, im just getting into engines and have started stripping mine down and learning off the internet as i go.

soo i have found these few websites with quite cheap, appealing parts,

This cam here, i am looking at in combination with ported & flowed heads/manifolds. is it too over the top for a commodore? any opinions/feedbaack will be great.

3800 THRASHER Suspension & Big Brakes Kits - NEW - Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, Chevy Monte Carlo / Impala SS, Buick Regal GS - Thrasher Engineered Performance

Or a milder cam something along the lines of this one

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy L36 Cam 2: 3800 Performance

Plus my car already has all the usual boltons: Exhaust, Intake, Oversize Throttle Body etc.

Thanks everyone & im putting the engine when its finished infront of a getrag 5 speed with a LSD diff

Cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The Thrasher cam would be an absolute dog on the street.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
That thrasher cam is for a supercharged engine. The comp one looks o.k.

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
Ok thanks, so would you's reccomend buying one of these comp cams over a comp cam from mace? the cam is actually exactly half the price, ($324.99)

plus i can get a cam install kit of the same site for $149.99 which consists of all new bolts and gaskets required for installation

essentially installing a higher performance cam for under $500

If not is there anyone else that can reccomend a good performing camshaft to me,

Thanks Heaps

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Those Comp cams from 3800Performance are very mild cams, even the Stage 1 from MACE is bigger.

If you really want to buy from overseas than try these guys, http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=123&catid=104 , and http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=120&catid=104 . For the Cam kit go for Kit 4, these guys give you the aluminium LIM gaskets and reusable rocker bolts, for $20 cheaper than 3800performance. Remember shipping is quite costly, and if there is a problem you have to pay for shipping back to the States.

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
i have looked into zzperformance before and they do have good gear, the reason i want to buy from the states is im planning to do this on a tight budget as im only 19.

Thanks mate, i think i will go along with these ones u reccomended and just buy the rest of the gear, timing chain, valve springs/seals etc from MACE.

While im doing the Cam and possibly heads ported & Lower manifold to match, is there anything else you reccomend i do to the engine while its stripped down?

Thanks Alot for the help

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if you dont want the crappy idle but want more airflow maybe you should look at mace engineerings rocker arms instead...
just a thought but if your gonna pull the motor down anyway for rings and pistons the definately go cam

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Definitely go new pistons and rings. I put ACL Race pistons in, the ring were about $280 or an extra $100 for new pistons and pins with them, hmmmm. Also of course new crank, rod and cam bearings. And new gaskets throughout.

If going with a cam, and as you pointed out already, new valve springs, retailers, collets, and valve seals. MACE do a fully ready ported heads, check out their website.

Also the ACL Race pistons only come in 10:1 compression but this is good if your just going to leave it N/A with a cam. Otherwise just get the normal ACL ones.

And of course the engine machining, honed (maybe bored depending on condition), block decked, heads machined (if not using MACE heads), crank tunnel machined, and a good balance will see you done.

Also you may want to do these things while engine is out. Engine mounts (even if they are good), new idler pulleys, new harmonic balancer, new CAS (definitely do this while engine is apart if it has never been changed before).

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
Definitely go new pistons and rings. I put ACL Race pistons in, the ring were about $280 or an extra $100 for new pistons and pins with them, hmmmm. Also of course new crank, rod and cam bearings. And new gaskets throughout.

If going with a cam, and as you pointed out already, new valve springs, retailers, collets, and valve seals. MACE do a fully ready ported heads, check out their website.

Also the ACL Race pistons only come in 10:1 compression but this is good if your just going to leave it N/A with a cam. Otherwise just get the normal ACL ones.

And of course the engine machining, honed (maybe bored depending on condition), block decked, heads machined (if not using MACE heads), crank tunnel machined, and a good balance will see you done.

Also you may want to do these things while engine is out. Engine mounts (even if they are good), new idler pulleys, new harmonic balancer, new CAS (definitely do this while engine is apart if it has never been changed before).

Thanks mate that helps heaps, well the engine i got is the last of the ecotecs, out of a 2002 VU with only 130,000 on it, do you think its essential that i replace the pistons/rings/crank etc etc. as i am doing this all on a tight budget in my spare time i was thinking of just getting everything done except the block, as it looks like a fair bit of money goes into machining & getting block decked new pistons etc etc. i was just thinking port&polished heads, big cam, ported lower manifold to match heads with the mace manifold spacers. Cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmmm, well if you don't touch the rotating assembly and just get it inspected and its all good then it will be fine. If the pistons come out at any time then I would definitely get new rings. Just get a decent compression test done before you disassemble the engine, make sure the rings are in good condition. If the rings are good than the engine is probably fine, contrary to what lots of people say, the ol' Ecotec is a tough ol' bird, shes pretty strong.

One thing I would definitely do while its out is to modify the oil pump and pickup. A little dremel work will do absolute wonders to the engine, oil flow issues is the biggest killer in the Ecotec, so port it out a little or give it to an engine builder and I'm sure they will be able to fix you up for quite cheap. Throwing big-ends due to low oil flow is a fairly big issues with Ecotecs.

Also the timing chain tensioner will need replacing, these things wear out pretty quickly, and even though you will probably (should) run a double row chain, I would still put a new one in.