Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any issues with ve or vf wagons?

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
Hi guys,

Looking at buying a new family car as soon as our other one sells and we are very keen on a VE or VF wagon. As I dont know anything about commodore's is there anything to look out for with these models? I take it the 3.6 is a better motor than a 3.0. Are these motors a timing chain or belt? and how's the cost of servicing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rob

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I would say definitely go the 3.6, they are chain not a belt, if you search this site you'll find numerous issues with the timing chains. The theory is if you have a later 2008 car, then supposedly the timing chain issues of the earlier VE 6 cyl is fixed. However you'll also find a fair number of people with later models that have also had timing chain problems. Being a timing chain there is no scheduled replacement of the chain. I had a late '09 SIDI SV6 until about 18months ago, traded it on the '09 SS that I have now. The SV6 had about 110,000Km on it when I traded it, and I never had any timing chain problem. If you read various threads on this site you'll see over and over again that it is stressed that the V6's must be serviced on time or earlier, these engines are known to sludge the oil. It is critical oil changes must be done and use quality oil of the correct spec. So when buying, look for good, on time or better service history. As is typical with cars buy the best service history, low kms newest car that you can afford. Good luck, personally I think the SIDI 3.6 VE's are great cars (a SIDI V6 will have a 6 speed transmission), the timing chain if you are unlucky to have the problem I would say is the main potential problem with these cars.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
SIDI engines definitely much better than earlier models and 06 07 models can have timing chain problems. Make sure car has been serviced regularly and continue to do so. Many changes in engines over the years so some 3L are more powerful than some 3.6s but generally for the same year the 3.6 will be slightly more powerful and the 3l more economical. Really not a lot in it. Sports models normally look better but luxury models much nicer to drive. 6 speed transmission much better than earlier models. Generally if looked after, from Series II VE on there are few dramas. Generally people either love the looks of the VE or prefer the VF but less differences in wagons than sedans anyway. VF has more gadgets and possibly more annoyances.

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
Thanks Guys, The timing chain "issue" is good to know. We were looking at 2011 on so should be right? We were also thinking if a smick v8 ve was to come up then maybe thats an option. It would be slightly older to fit our budget so around 09 up, but is there anything to look out for in these? And is there really much difference in feul economy when driving normally?

cheers Rob

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I think it would be safe to say an 8 would use 20-30% more juice averaged (worth every penny).

I'm sure carpoint/sales state the official fuel figures for any particular vehicle when new.

If the budgets tight, stick to a 6. The temptation to modify an 8 is painful if the funds aren't there............and with a username like yours, you will be tempted!

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
If you have the budget go the VF, it's miles ahead of VE in refinement throughout the interior and lots of standard kit that were options on VE or just didn't exist. With that said VE series 2 (2010 - 2013) is packed full of goodies compared to series 1 (2008-2010). They're a big long car (long wheel base compared to sedan swb) and with parking a reverse camera is practically a must.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
If you have the budget go the VF, it's miles ahead of VE in refinement throughout the interior and lots of standard kit that were options on VE or just didn't exist. With that said VE series 2 (2010 - 2013) is packed full of goodies compared to series 1 (2008-2010). They're a big long car (long wheel base compared to sedan swb) and with parking a reverse camera is practically a must.

Wheelbase for sedan and wagon is the same.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wheelbase for sedan and wagon is the same.
Was going to say this; ute is still LWB, but wagon moved back to sedan wheelbase for the intro of the VE.
Sedan & wagon are basically the same dimensions; at least, within a few mm of each other.

A VE Series II is, from a technical POV, no worse a place to be than a VF. In fact some cost-cutting hadn't occurred yet, you might say VEII's technically-speaking a better car. But the VE dash & door-trims look & feel 10 years older than VF, and that has a big impact on the value equation (IMHO at least).
But that's all aesthetics, the really smart buyer would probably ignore aesthetics and buy a VEII that's 3 months older than a VF with the same mileage for $10k less. :)

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
I think it would be safe to say an 8 would use 20-30% more juice averaged (worth every penny).

I'm sure carpoint/sales state the official fuel figures for any particular vehicle when new.

If the budgets tight, stick to a 6. The temptation to modify an 8 is painful if the funds aren't there............and with a username like yours, you will be tempted!

Well yes! tight budget but love the sound of an 8 at full noise lol. If we did get an 8 the first thing would be an exhaust to be able to hear it!!!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
For known issues with a V8, I think the lifters in an AFM 6.0 are often raised as being an issue. I have an AFM '09 SS with 73,000 Km on it and I do get lifter rattle on start up but mostly when I haven't used the car for a week or so. I don't use the SS as a daily, I have a little Fiesta I use to commute to work in Sydneys crap traffic. I am averaging a blistering 26Km/h in my commute to work since about the end of January, last year was usually about 32-33km/h.