Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any signal problems with aftermarket GPS?

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
I've read on this forum that 'The Vf has metalised windows that can stuff with the reception so they integrated the factory GPS in with the aerial so its on the outside of the car"

Does anyone have problems with the signal to aftermarket GPS units like Tom Tom and Garmin?

RustyNail

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 UTE
I have no problems with my Garmin and have metalised tint on the windows as well it works even if it on the seat next to me

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I think it's just how the factory glass is tinted. lots of after market window tint has metal in it so again can cause interference to radios etc.

The VE also has metallic factory tint, though lots of VEs also had radio problems from factory.

Given the amount of satellites in the sky, if it's on the dash it would have to be a crap one not to get and maintain signal as the windscreen is not tinted and should not interfere with signal at all.

Big-Mitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF International Sportwagon
i have a Tomtom GO600 and have no problems with it on the dash. It even worked well when it was sitting in the centre console in front of the gear shift.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I have a Garmin 2797, and it is ready to navigate within a matter of seconds in either my MY14 or MY12.5. I also have a TomTom Via 620. It performs identically in both cars, but is much slower than the Garmin at locking on .