Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any suggestions for LJ?

L

lexa

G'day all, i am soon to aquire a 1973 LJ torana and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for it? i have heaps of ideas for the little beast but suggestions on things like carbs, cams and mags would all be appreciated. thanks alot guys.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
LJ, what a beast : ), If you want heaps of power and a real retro look, you can go for triple su's, or if you want to spend money triple webers. Use a 12 port head from a blue/black motor, or better still there was a trick in the old days to cut the head bolt casting out of the red motor inlet ports and bolt the head down with an allen bolt with a smooth head to the floor of the port and put a plug in the top of the port where the old head bolt was. It was quite possible back in the day to run 12 second quarter miles with a good 202 with those head mods done well. Even a fairly budget engine will run 13 second quarters in a LJ and spin the wheels in 3rd gear without too much trouble, the things only weigh just on 1000kg's, my brother had an orange two door xu1 replica once, it was a nice machine. These days I might also be thinking about a fuel injection setup from a black motor

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hmmmm

Go to the wreakers and pick up a RB30 ..and auto trans ....

Or a V6 .... Yep Ive personally considered a LJ with a V6 ... Should go like a bat out of hell with just a stock engine transplant ....

The red motor is ?? DEAD , ok not quite , but a V6 transplant may run the same money as a tricked out red motor and trans ..

Q

QIK62C

start with a blue as they have the best balanced bottom end & 12 port head then
CRS supercharger, VK inject manifold with holes blocked, suck throgh carb or go all out and setup delco based injection & add intercooler

micky69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba XR6 5 speed/ VN Calais 308 twin turbo
i've got it all

how about do the same as what i've got happening but inprovise, i'm running a black 202 bottom end 40 thou stage 3 solid cam, 186 blue head for compression i currently run a 4brl rochester on it with extractor through to a 2-1/2 exhaust with super turbo box on the back the enigine cost barely anything all cheap parts except the cam that was $280 but it makes a huge different i have a m21 box 4 speed with rpm pressure plate and brass button clutch and the thinggoes like a rocket i have lots of parts if you would like any in your advanture resonable prices? stuff like triple su's with manifold, 350 holly and manifold, extractors, flywheels, m20 box and auto, complete red 202, and even 308 block bored 60thou with flat top pistons have fun with it hey .ph: 0432 476 851

A

ashleypope

Want it to stomp on heads? 3.3 blue(starfire rods,counterweighted crank,electronic dizzy-blacks have crank angle sensor, easier with a blue dizzy), 138-161 head modded from 9 port 2 12 port removing dividers and fitting stainless dowels,triple 45 dcoe's and a HS55-E spec heatseeker cam/spring kit Yellaterra rollers, crane ignition system with a 9"/3200 high stall traumatic and V8 internals and a 4.44 salisbury, oh and make sure u use forgies for nitrous. Guaranteed 12's -no **** at a low cost.OR go straight 2 an RB30T with the same running gear,Now if only I could get the VP 2 go like my old Windsor blue GTR without pushing it off a cliff! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jorgeeboy

lexa said:
G'day all, i am soon to aquire a 1973 LJ torana and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for it? i have heaps of ideas for the little beast but suggestions on things like carbs, cams and mags would all be appreciated. thanks alot guys.

lexa, Have you thought about doing a conversion to a different engine all together? Some thing like a Nissan turbo six complete with the loom etc. That way the car will run unleaded, you shouldn't have to put intrusion bars in the doors. Upgrade the brakes ( YOU WANT THE BUGGER TO STOP!), the gearbox...use the nissan item or perhaps a supra steel case five speed, if you want it to be an auto, again, go with the nissan one, just beef it up a bit

blown hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
stroke a 179hp block work the heads try to get headers as they flow better then extractors lighten the flywheel and have fun no engineers no problem with isurance as it`s still a red 6

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
what kind of budjet do you have for it?