Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any tilers amongst us??!!

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
keep the smallest joint possible (1.5mm) with rectified edges, looks shmick. just make sure your tiles are perfectly flush at the joints, otherwise it stands out really bad, ruins a good job.

They will be a real **** to cut, being like 10mm thick, get yourself a tile wet saw for the day. Much, much easier, just add a little dish washing liquid to the water (helps with cooling blade)

you wanna use a either 8mm or 12mm trowel with that size tile.

when grouting use a water spay bottle and give the joints a light spray before u start, make sure your pushing the grout right in there, moist sponge, wipe off excess, then with a 2nd clean sponge go over it again.

keep it out of the floor to wall joint and internal wall corners (run a bead of coloured flexible sealant instead, due to movement grout will crack and fall out)

btw i could be talking **** im not a tiler, only a carpenter, seems to work though. goodluck. :thumbsup:

that's a 1.5mm joint used on my last attempt V V V V

[URL=http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00240xqb.jpg]

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
keep the smallest joint possible (1.5mm) with rectified edges, looks shmick. just make sure your tiles are perfectly flush at the joints, otherwise it stands out really bad, ruins a good job.

They will be a real **** to cut, being like 10mm thick, get yourself a tile wet saw for the day. Much, much easier, just add a little dish washing liquid to the water (helps with cooling blade)

you wanna use a either 8mm or 12mm trowel with that size tile.

when grouting use a water spay bottle and give the joints a light spray before u start, make sure your pushing the grout right in there, moist sponge, wipe off excess, then with a 2nd clean sponge go over it again.

keep it out of the floor to wall joint and internal wall corners (run a bead of coloured flexible sealant instead, due to movement grout will crack and fall out)

btw i could be talking **** im not a tiler, only a carpenter, seems to work though. goodluck. :thumbsup:

that's a 1.5mm joint used on my last attempt V V V V

[URL="http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00240xqb.jpg"]

12mm trowel for sure and deffinetly moisten the gaps before applying grout.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Great tips there slappa, all makes sense..

Might have to look into that wet tile saw, go hire one for the day (or 2!) make it alot neater/easier, as I have quite a few straight cuts to do, for the wall, half a tile high.. and yeah they are about 10mm thick, and heavy/dense? as hell..

Ive layed them out where ill be tiling to check that the edges meet up nicely - dont stick up, theres just two little areas (each about 30cm long) that will need packing out with around 5mm of mud/tile adhesive to get them to sit nice and flat - because of the fall on the floor - its a little bathroom/toilet, with a sink, but with the 12mm trowel it should be no worries..

Nice one - the flexible sealant in the internal joints, and wall to floor joints, GOOD IDEA! dont want to have to re-grout it when it all cracks out..

And def. will do the grouting like you say, spray bottle, keep it moist, and wipe it off with 2 different sponges, get most/all of the excess of while its wet too..

And slappa don't worry, I like what your saying - its all good ideas for me, im not a tiler either, lol, im a Plant Mechanic, / plasterer / carpet layer / car mechanic / gardener / whatever needs doing around the house, lmao..

Thanks again AirStrike, and slappa, im glad I put the question out there, got some good answers.. I'll throw up a photo or two when I get it done, should be hopefully within the week, if not the weekend..

Btw, nice job on the double shower, nice inlay? the rocks in the middle, its a nice feature...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lastly what sort of adhesive do I use for them? just the normal gear, or a special porcelain type?

And I was told only to use 200mm tiles MAX, for the fall on the floor, otherwise I couldnt get the fall we needed, I was like Pfft, that'l look ****, i'm going to use 400mm tiles, square edges, small grout lines, and it'l look better, lmao... match in with the granite bench top, and glass bowl basin we've got already...
Tile shop dude didnt like that too much.. haha,

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alrighty guys and girls... finally got around to posting up a picture of the floor, all laid, just needs to be grouted, it has black 'seal all' bathroom and kitchen stuff in the floor to wall joints, and the internals on the walls, and around the floor waste..

Its got the 1.5mm grout line, 400x400mm tiles, with half a tile high for the 'kick panel' and a nice crome dress strip around the tops of the tiles, and on the step,

Hope you like, the parents approve! lol, now on to the laundry....

zeussy-albums-vy-picture4996-tile-step-existing-tile-floor.jpg

Tiled step - up to existing tile floor, crome strip fitted to match the rest of the 'kick panel'

zeussy-albums-vy-picture4995-downstairs-toilet-bathroom.jpg

Holes drilled for the toilet valve, and basin waste, and cut around the floor waste..

I ended up buying a 50mm diamond tip hole saw, to do them, it was around $50, and that way I can do the laundry aswell, might need a smaller one for the taps but...

And I sort of did need a special adhesive, its a DAVCO floor tile adhesive, and is used for numerous different types of tiles, with porcelain included..

THANKS EVERYONE for your help and advice, im sure it made the job come out nicer in the end, all the little tips/advice make it so much easier to do the job right..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Nice job on the tiles. I helped my dad do a few of the rooms in his house, in the beginning we got a few profesionals to do stuff but they were allways short on time and made everything crooked so in the end once the house was at lockup my dad just finished the whole lot himself. Took him a couple of years of weekends but got there in the end

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Nice job on the tiles. I helped my dad do a few of the rooms in his house, in the beginning we got a few profesionals to do stuff but they were allways short on time and made everything crooked so in the end once the house was at lockup my dad just finished the whole lot himself. Took him a couple of years of weekends but got there in the end

True that.

I helped my old man in 2 of his apartments. It takes time but you can get a result as good as a professional.

When I had a new kitchen installed in my place, I sat down at watched the guy work and he was happy to tell me all the tips and techniques he uses.

I'm actually considering tiling my house but I have over 70 square metres to do - so I might leave that to a professional.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride

True that.

I helped my old man in 2 of his apartments. It takes time but you can get a result as good as a professional.

When I had a new kitchen installed in my place, I sat down at watched the guy work and he was happy to tell me all the tips and techniques he uses.

I'm actually considering tiling my house but I have over 70 square metres to do - so I might leave that to a professional.

Thanks greenfoam, I rekon its better in the end, if you can do it yourself, it makes you feel good knowing 'you did that' sort of thing,

And yeah all it takes is time, I originally was watching the 'profressional' do the rest of the floors, getting tips off him as he went, thinking yehh I could do that,

but after around 3-4 square meters, my back was aching from working down there - cutting tiles, waterproofing etc... sometimes there are things better left to the 'professionals'!!! lol,