Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any tipe to avoid a cracked head?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Edit: I friggin' hate it when I typo in a thread title :(

So I read somewhere that the RB30's that went into the Holdens were more prone to getting their heads cracked than their Nissan counterparts as the radiator in the VL's are mounted lower than in the Skylines. Anyone got any tips or hints to avoid getting your head split, especially in this hot Aussie weather?

I'm thinking along the lines of custom intakes or modifications to the intake/mods to make the airflow better etc

cheers,

Sorry if this has been covered, I searched but nothing came up.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
First Tip is to bleed the air out of the cooling sustem.
second tip use a good anticorrosion radiator fluid

End Tips
Its really simple they wont crack if you maintain your cooling ssystem

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
Asked and answered perfectly.
maintain your cooling system correctly and you will have no problems.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the holden engine had to be lowered at the front to fit under the bonnet and this somehow caused the steam trap head cracking problem.both nissan and holden versions have 2 bleeder bolts that must be unscrewed ( if siezed up, remove rubber elbow instead) and force water in thru radiator filler cap until water flows from both bleeder holes, put grease on bolt threads and replace

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
wheres this rubber elbow?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the holden engine had to be lowered at the front to fit under the bonnet and this somehow caused the steam trap head cracking problem.both nissan and holden versions have 2 bleeder bolts that must be unscrewed ( if siezed up, remove rubber elbow instead) and force water in thru radiator filler cap until water flows from both bleeder holes, put grease on bolt threads and replace

Mate they didnt lower the engine its the radiator that sits lower. It makes the head the highest point in the cooling system. Air lighter than water so it rises to the top. Which mean your air pockets end up in the head