Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any way to check difference between 2017 ssv and ssv redline?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Good info, but it doesn't help the OP to clarify if he has a redline over a standard tarted-up SS/SSV. Unless there is a different number/letter in the sequence for a 2017 SS (2017 - no SSV) and a 2017 redline?

If he has a sequence number in the L3XXXXX range and letter "E", then it's a redline in the MY17 model. There were no SSV models in 2017.
SS was letter "C" as the config.

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
ok so C at position 5 (assuming L3xx sequence) is a base 2017 SS and E at position 5 is a SSVR?

Do you happen to know what M at position 5 denotes?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so C at position 5 (assuming L3xx sequence) is a base 2017 SS and E at position 5 is a SSVR?

Do you happen to know what M at position 5 denotes?

Yes. Your car type. Senator

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thankyou, I thought it may have denoted Calais - being the car it is based on

Many years ago that might of been the case but now HSV had their model prefix in the VIN.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Many years ago that might of been the case but now HSV had their model prefix in the VIN.
Yeah, you used to have to quote an exact VIN to HSV to see if it were a real HSV, but not you can "decode" the VIN prefix without needing the whole number. Well, at least to check it's an HSV VIN. :)

Spent quite some time many moons ago trying to prove that a Calais-based VL HSV with full Batmobile mechanicals but no rear-wing treatment was a fake, VIN said it was just a Calais after all! Turned out to be one of 5 Calais-based cars they had fitted the full Walky gear to, I think for some favoured dealers (as opposed to the SV88 which was Calais based but just used a near-standard carby 5.0).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I ordered a Clubsport in 1995 and it arrived ready for me to pickup at the dealers looking like a standard VS Commodore.

The front bar, rear wing, side skits, seats, rims, exterior badges and the Clubsport build number badge for the dashpad all arrived packed in boxes.

The only HSV gear on the car was the instrument gauges with the HSV logo, the build plate on the firewall behind the throttle body intake, a HSV cold air intake and the engine cover had 185 on the sides.

Everyone who ever looked at it believed it was just a HSV Enhanced VS Commodore but it was in fact in the HSV documentation as a fully-fledged Clubsport.

Oh for the days when the manufacturers were still prepared to customise and delivered a car to your own requested specs.

Any way it was easy to verify what it was as a call to HSV gave you the answer.

Roha

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Chevy Malibu
Mate, you guys are all bloody legends!
Thanks for all the info and help!!
The fact that only redlines were produced for the MY17 year makes the check very easy.

Also, as a side note. There are no Holden dealers or importers over here in Korea. Chevrolet is very popular but we don't get the SS. We get the camaro but doesn't even come in manual!!!
I'm returning to Australia soon and there's only one car I wanna buy, hence the original post~ lol

Once again, thanks to everyone who gave input! It's little things like this that make me miss Australia the most!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
over here in Korea

Oh you actually are in South Korea..!? And here I was thinking you were removing the urine.... ;)

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
If looking for a 2017 redline make sure it is a 2017 and not a 2016 that the dealer is selling.

I’ve seen quite a few 2016 build plate Redlines advertised as 2017 models as they were first registered in 2017.
Very obvious to notice as they don’t have the black out pack.
I’d be more worried about paying 2017 prices for a 2016 model that a dealer tarting up an SS to near redline specs.
I have noticed the 2017 commanding more money than a comparable 2016.