Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any way to make a th700 work in a vs??? please help

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
is there any way at all to make a th700 work in a vs commodore? (keep in mind the vs auto runs the 4L60e from factory) im trying to work with what ive got.

any help would be greatly appreciated

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
My vr came with a th700 in it. Delcowizzid was working on a way to make it fully functional but the th700 died so was replaced with a 4l60e anyway. The previous owner must have just bolted it in. Still had all gear's but the torque converter lock-up did not work. Odlly enough he's meant to be coming out today to remove said 4l60e and replace with another th700! but this time weve replaced the loom/ecu with a vn one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
to work at which trans you have, lift the bonnet and have a look down the passanger side of the trans tunnel. on the side of the trans there will be a fairly large sticker which should have a code on it. something like 7HDD

you have a couple of options.

1, fix what you have
2. have the ecu tune modified to a manual configuration and modify the loom to suit T700 box
3. fit a manual loom and ecu
4. fit a VN ecu/loom as chrrr said above

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
have you got wiring diagrams for both gearboxes so i can see if i can modify it?? the thing is i bought the car for 300 bucks from a chick that took it to a mechanic that fitted the th700 with no ecu or loom mods and it stopped 15 kms down the street... so the box is already in.. i just wanna see if i can make it work as it is....

besides apparently the ecotec works well with a th700 behind it??

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Stopped why?

You may be better off to pull the TH700, sell it on and swap it for the correct replacement.

If not, you will need to make provision for the throttle valve (TV) cable. This needs to be set up to reflect the torque output of the engine and if it's wrong the trans. will die pretty quickly, not to mention shift strangely. I would suggest reading some of the myriad of technical info. available on the web from vendors fitting TH700's in non-standard applications and look into adapting a VN-VR cable bracket and cam.

The lock up TCC isn't a major concern. The trans will operate without it at a small cost in fuel consumption. It can be switched manually very easily, again there's plenty of info. around on how to do that. Setting up a speed activated switch to approximate the ECM switching isn't hard either (Jaycar/SC kit).

Speaking of speed sensors, a power and earth to the Hall sensor on the TH700 will give an output on the signal wire. To feed that into the VS PCM (required for speedometer operation) the signal will need to be altered. There is a SC kit to do that also.

The Creative Calibrations site has wiring diagrams.

By the time you do all that you probably may as well have swapped the proper trans. in.

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
thanks heaps for the input guys... ive managed to scratch around and find a 4l60e trans out if a vs to throw in it.... ive got the trans out of the car... the one that i took out has "4HDD" or something similar on it... what trans is this i was told its a th700??

the one i got to put in it.. (not looking forward to putting it in lol ive got to lift the ****ing thing in by myself.. no jacks available) has "6HDD" on it.