Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody brought or used these?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
On your equaliser (be it parametric or graphic) if you set your low frequency to something thats within your LPF setting (say your LPF is set at 80hz, and you select 60hz in your EQ) you will alter the way the sub sounds.

Whats your HPF set at for your Sony splits? something around 80-100hz will see them play abit louder......depending on where your HPF is set at the moment.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I reckon just bump up your LPF a little bit more and turn down the gain slightly.

I don't think the power going into them should have a huge impact. I used to only run about 45w into my fronts that were rated 120w... still got pretty damn loud before any hint of distortion. Honestly doesn't sound much different now that I'm running 75w into them.

HPF not LPF... my bad

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Seeing as all my amps, also have their own high and low frequency adjustments, do i also have to have them set at the hz as what i'm setting it to on the head unit? I had to give it a break for a while, i dont think the neighbours are very appreciative....

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's all come good, i've set the HPF on the H/U to 100hz, and now it sounds pretty good:thumbsup:. Now to replace bloody 6x9's!!!:bang:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You have too many average speakers :bang:

It is much easier to make a system sound good when you start with the right items.

Different speakers really shouldn't overlap frequency ranges... Subs should play low, woofers (in splits) should play the midbass and midrange and the tweeters play the high frequencies. This is really simple to do with sub/s and splits and sounds a hell of a lot better than a mix of random sized speakers.

So you have 4" (2-ways?) in front playing everything above sub frequencies?
Sony splits in front playing everything above sub frequencies?
6x9's in the rear playing what frequency range? You know they're a waste when you have subs?

Unfortunately, you're not going to get great sound with what you have :flame:

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
I would disconnect the sicX9's, and run the splits and the sub only. Any if the Passengers complain, tell them to bring their Ipods lol.:yeah:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i know, well it was really my first full install, and a bit of a learning curve. The 4'' dash mounts, were the first mod, replacing the factory's. Then came the 6x9's, and a 4 channel. I later added 2 Blaupunkt 10's, but swapped them for a single 15'' instead. I then felt i wasnt getting enough sound from the front, so i added the splits, and another 2 channel to run them. Yeah if i had my time over, i definately wouldnt have purchased the 6x9's.

But like i said, i've learnt from this, these were all first time mistakes, and they wont be made again. At the moment, i have the front splits, and and dash coaxials, set at 100hz^^, the 6x9's are set at 80hz^^ and the sub has been set at 30hz^^ I played around a lot with it, and this is the best i can come up with, By all means, it dosent sound bad, the 15'' does a good job, considering overall size of the vehicle, and the rest of the set up, plays loud enough to cause considerable discomfort.. But i'll have a garage to work with soon, and i'd like to hit the drawing board with a new system, with some better components, some proper sound deadning work, and some custom fabrication for the boot install.

I guess the most important thing for me is, i went from knowing nothing to knowing what i do now, from nothing but research and trial and error, and i performed every piece of the instalation myself. Be sure to expect big things, come round two:thumbsup:

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
Yeah i know, well it was really my first full install, and a bit of a learning curve. The 4'' dash mounts, were the first mod, replacing the factory's. Then came the 6x9's, and a 4 channel. I later added 2 Blaupunkt 10's, but swapped them for a single 15'' instead. I then felt i wasnt getting enough sound from the front, so i added the splits, and another 2 channel to run them. Yeah if i had my time over, i definately wouldnt have purchased the 6x9's.

But like i said, i've learnt from this, these were all first time mistakes, and they wont be made again. At the moment, i have the front splits, and and dash coaxials, set at 100hz^^, the 6x9's are set at 80hz^^ and the sub has been set at 30hz^^ I played around a lot with it, and this is the best i can come up with, By all means, it dosent sound bad, the 15'' does a good job, considering overall size of the vehicle, and the rest of the set up, plays loud enough to cause considerable discomfort.. But i'll have a garage to work with soon, and i'd like to hit the drawing board with a new system, with some better components, some proper sound deadning work, and some custom fabrication for the boot install.

I guess the most important thing for me is, i went from knowing nothing to knowing what i do now, from nothing but research and trial and error, and i performed every piece of the instalation myself. Be sure to expect big things, come round two:thumbsup:

Good on you mate, that's how you learn by experimenting! :)