Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody know what this plug is for?

clarky_bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Alloytec
Hi Guys
My VZ exec sedan has a 2 pin plug in the boot just under the RHS hinge with a light duty brown/white wire and a heavy duty orange/white wire, I'm looking to wire up a small fridge in the boot and would really like to utilise the wires if they're not used for anything else, the brown wire has power under accessory but nothing on the orange as far as I can tell, I've followed the harness till it dissapears up behind the body module.
Any ideas what this is for?
Regards
Andy

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That would be the wiring for the stop light on a spoiler if one were fitted. If you used it to power a fridge it will only work while your foot was on the brake.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
It's not for a rear wing brake light is it?..

edit: wow i was to late

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
haha, that would be a funny thing to watch... ya go to the mrs and say, "hey honey can you sit in the drivers seat and press the brake .. our beers are gettin hot!!"

clarky_bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Alloytec
Umm well my car already has a rear spoiler with brake light fitted by the dealer when new, I tested the wire and nothing when the brakes are applied, so good thought but wrong, could it be for a power amp/subwoofer, I see a space in the under dash fuse box for one.
what I was thinking of doing was snipping the wire back inside the kick panel and applying power from the cigar lighter circuit to it rather than having to run a new wire all the way back into the boot, I just want to make sure that there's nothing else on that circuit that will be affected, Cheers

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Hi Guys
My VZ exec sedan has a 2 pin plug in the boot just under the RHS hinge with a light duty brown/white wire and a heavy duty orange/white wire, I'm looking to wire up a small fridge in the boot and would really like to utilise the wires if they're not used for anything else, the brown wire has power under accessory but nothing on the orange as far as I can tell, I've followed the harness till it dissapears up behind the body module.
Any ideas what this is for?
Regards
Andy

Its for the rear spoiler. Mines got the same plug but inside the car, which is for the rear stop light.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Umm well my car already has a rear spoiler with brake light fitted by the dealer when new, I tested the wire and nothing when the brakes are applied, so good thought but wrong, could it be for a power amp/subwoofer, I see a space in the under dash fuse box for one.
what I was thinking of doing was snipping the wire back inside the kick panel and applying power from the cigar lighter circuit to it rather than having to run a new wire all the way back into the boot, I just want to make sure that there's nothing else on that circuit that will be affected, Cheers

Test it whith the brake on and off. The dealer may have wired the spoiler straight to the tail light rather than utilize that plug.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I'm 90% sure that plug is for the optional rear park assist brown is the ign sense wire and orange is reverse lights

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you are using a car fridge say 40 litre size or thereabouts, the power draw from these units is too high to run them from a cigarette lighter plug and wiring plus you will find that because of inadequate wiring there will be voltage drops which is bad for the fridge electricals. You will need to run active and neuteral wires from the battery to the point you want a plug. Don't use a cig. plug but get a decent Hella type that are designed for higher amperage and better locking. If you use the cig, plug there is every chance that you will melt the wires, plug etc from excessive heat build-up. Have a look at the accompanying link for advice etc on how to do the job properly. Don't forget to have an appropriate fuse or circuit breaker installed on the active wire close to the battery.

Fridge Power

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
^^^^Lmfao. So every Holden dealer thinks every person that buys a commodore is going to install a fridge in there boot! Yeah.