Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anybody notice somthing fishy with whincups pace?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
first let me say im not trying to star an argument or a scrap with this, im just wondering if anybody shares my opinion

here it goes

me and my girl were watching the clipsal 500 this weekend and we both noticed that whincup and lownds had some extream pace in there brand spanking new fg's

this struck us as weird because the FG's are Brand new, never been raced before etc, they obviously had a good set up but what about teething problems? the only one was the power steering going on lownds and tanders cars, we were thinking (and tell me if im wrong) that somthing is up seeing as the only team who did the testing of the breand new e85 was team vodafone, stick with me here, what if team vodafone devaloped an edge during the testing of e85 that they could use above all other teams, to my knowlage (again correct me if im wrong) no holden team did any of the testing of the e85 (all pre season obviously - the shake down was there first crack at it for all teams but vodafone) the closest drivers to whincup and/or lownds were davidson and tander and even then the fg's were realy fast and pulling away. now they could have had the perfect set up and all that jazz but we found it weird that a team with no ford backing, 2 brand new FG Falcon's, brand new gas (which they were the sole testers of), ecu's and other gear were able to be so fast on the first race of the season! i was expecting more teething problems etc, especialy concidering the cars were built to project blueprint and now have control breaks and disks and the same suspention points as holden etc etc

also as i side note the number 18 jim beam FG had its chasey and all the bits aside form the engine built buy vodafone 888 racing, the engine was built by djr, they got close at one stage but just didnt have the pace or the reliability of team vodafone

it could be my mind running away on me but thats what me and my girl noticed, any thoughts?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Lownds could not pass Tander at the end of race 2.

I just think wink-cup is on a purple patch right now and is probably the best driver in the comp.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
lownds does have a couple of extra kilos in eyebrow wieght to lug around - i bet thats his excuse hahaha

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL yep spot on.

Team 888 are a well oiled team now and are smarting over being dropped by Ford.

I thing the PIG on the front of the Ford summed it up perfictly.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And a few years ago the Commodores had all the pace and the Ford fans were complaining. Suck it up, it's a competition and if your side loses deal with it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
And a few years ago the Commodores had all the pace and the Ford fans were complaining. Suck it up, it's a competition and if your side loses deal with it.

Well, if it were not for blueprint where would ford be now? I highly doubt they would be any closer than they were 5 years ago. Holden fans have a reason to whinge, the cars cant even be close to what thesy should be to keep them on par with ford...what rules have been changed to penalise ford so holdens can win?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Didn't Ford have to redesign their aerodynamics with the AU to keep them back at the same level as Holdens? Can't confirm that though, just something I remember reading a few years ago.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mostly to do with the front ends - the Ford would not turn in as well as the Holdens.

So basicly the Ford was suffering with major understeer. So they made it the same setup for both makes.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Didn't Ford have to redesign their aerodynamics with the AU to keep them back at the same level as Holdens? Can't confirm that though, just something I remember reading a few years ago.

and they had to do the same with the FG as well.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I didn't watch the race, or know what's going on.... but in brief - there's heaps of power to be made by changing tune to suit E85 fuel... especially if they've tested and seen how far they can push the tune on the new fuel......the down side is that you do use about 30% more of it. (which would mean more pitstops or larger tanks with more weight etc).... although i'd assume the extra power can counter for the larger tank maybe?

how were they for re-fuelling? are they allowed to change tank sizes? what fuel was everyone else running? (or e85 but had no opportunity to test with it?)