Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone been defected for no engine cover?

Discussion in 'General' started by VYMAD, Aug 28, 2011.

1. VYMAD

VYMAD SILVERFOX

Members Ride:
    VY EXECUTIVE S2
    Well, it seems pretty popular now for many of us to remove our Ecotec engine covers and polish the intake manifold (plenum).
    I've been told by a guy at work and have also read on this forum more than once that removal of the engine cover is defectable.
    OK, so, have any of you members been defected for it? Or been warned by the cops to put it back on?

We know that these covers only trap heat and many of us prefer the polished plenum look.
    Not really asking for opinions, just whether you have been or know of someone that has recieved a defect.

2. TrikkBen

TrikkBen I'm Back :D

Members Ride:
    BNR32
    Cops will defect you if they want to defect you... You could have a showroom car and still get defected because the officer is in a bad mood.

VY's and anything else with an Ecotec for that matter is now old enough to have a bunch of things able to be picked on... Bushes, wiper blades, leaks... the list is endless...
    Don't drive like a twat in a mangged 6 and you should be fine.

3. kcpwns

kcpwns Kicker - Livin' Loud :)

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Equipe
    Ahk I've never heard of being defected for no engine cover. But as Ben said if they wanna get you they will :s

4. VYMAD

VYMAD SILVERFOX

Members Ride:
    VY EXECUTIVE S2
    Yes I know if they wanna get you they will, My question is "Has anyone BEEN defected?"
    And if so, was that the only defect or one of a long list of other things. My VY has virtually nothing defectable, so I want to know if the cops really ARE defecting this no engine cover rubbish.

5. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    I fail to see under what criteria they would class the vehicle for being defective for having no dress cover on it. It's not a kevlar blast shield :s

6. VYMAD

VYMAD SILVERFOX

Members Ride:
    VY EXECUTIVE S2
    Apparenly it's to do with fire; if a fuel line let go under the cover then the cover would stop fuel spraying through the engine bay, or some **** like that. Whatever the reasons are, I've heard/read that it's a defectable "mod" LOL.

7. Darcon666

Darcon666 Evil is always around you

Members Ride:
    The Wife
    I could be really wrong here, so please correct me people... however, I would love to see where, in any state, the "RULE" that the above relates to.

Unfortunately bacon will always find something to defect you if they really want to... it's just bad luck if you come across a carnt like that. :upyours:

8. Brett_jjj

Brett_jjj Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    If the police want to hassle you over trivial things like an engine cover not being fitted,then just let the coppers do what they like at the time,then choose to take it to court and argue it out there instead.Ive seen a fair few coppers go as weak as water once they are up in court trying to argue their case,so you stand a better chance of beating or getting the fine or defect overturned..I look at it this way because it doesnt matter what you say to the coppers at the time of the fine/defect,they will still fine/defect you no matter what,it might just be because you are a p plater,or maybe they just dont like the look of you or whatever,it doesnt really matter,but usually you wont change their mind if they are set on giving you a defect or fining you,so just take it to court.

9. Pickle'

Pickle' Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    uhh, i really dont think you can get defected for it. i have a factory LPG VE alloytec and the engine covers dont fit....

10. Demoniak

Demoniak Like a pig in kaakaa

Members Ride:
    2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
    a brand new wrx can be defected due to its kit.

Cops can be tards if they have had to deal with tards a lot.
    Some cops are also just tools.. especially traffic cops

11. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    Thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard

12. VYMAD

VYMAD SILVERFOX

Members Ride:
    VY EXECUTIVE S2
    Yeh, well as I said I'm led to believe it is defectable. Although it would really suck to cop one for no engine cover!!!!!!

So far no one has given a response that "Yes I was defected for this" so maybe it isn't illegal.

13. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Hey VYMAD

I realise you asked if anybody has ever been defected for deleting the cover, so sorry for posting with an irrelevant response.

If a cop wanted to defect you, he would have to have a valid and legal reason for doing so. The engine cover on the Ecotec doesn't cover any moving parts apart from the serpentine belt and alternator pulley, so removing it doesn't really expose any dangerous conditions which could place a person at risk whilst working on the engine. (After all, the rest of the serpentine belt and other pulleys are fully exposed so why would the section under the cover be any different?) The purpose of that cover is twofold - 1. Aesthetics (looks) and 2. Sound dampening. (the sound deadener underneath is also a heat mat to protect the cover from heat damage, but the combination of the cover and the deadener would reduce engine noise a little bit. Those sorts of things matter these days).

So, if anybody was booked for removing the cover, it would be very difficult for police to justify doing so if you appealed at court or made written representations. The law is stricter these days and there are variations in laws between the States, but, in my humble opinion, getting booked for deleting the engine cover on an Ecotec would be as sensible as getting booked for taking the chromed extension off the end of your exhaust.

14. CapriciousWL

CapriciousWL New Member

Members Ride:
    WL Caprice
    ^^^^ some should get booked for the exhaust tips they put on

15. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    Yes I have been defected for it , wasn't the main reason I got the a Defect, but he pointed it out and wrote it down on the form ...

16. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    the engine covers used on Ecotec's and LS engines are purely used for asthetic reasons and to supress engine noise.
    all defects that are issued, are issued under the Vehicle Safety Standard regulation/AIS Code of Practice. Unless the removal of an engine cover breaches a section of these documents (which to my knowledge it doesn't) then it can't be issued.....

17. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    did you put one back on to pass it?

18. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    Not sure a plastic cover will make any difference what so ever if a fuel line under high pressure (ie efi) lets go. Atomized fuel is a recipe for a car burned to the ground either way. I can't see why the absence of a engine cover would be detectable either. I call urban myth on this one.

Reaper

19. one_and_only2004

one_and_only2004 Turbo L98 FTW

Members Ride:
    Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
    My silver ute failed a blue slip due to having no engine cover.

20. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    How is that?? Are you saying that Subaru are selling a car that does not comply with Australian Design Rules??? I'd be amazed if that were the case. I'm no fan of the police but c'mon - in my experience cars get defects for a 100% valid reason.

Reaper