Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone been defected for no engine cover?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
uhh, i really dont think you can get defected for it. i have a factory LPG VE alloytec and the engine covers dont fit....

Yeh, well as I said I'm led to believe it is defectable. Although it would really suck to cop one for no engine cover!!!!!!

So far no one has given a response that "Yes I was defected for this" so maybe it isn't illegal.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey VYMAD

I realise you asked if anybody has ever been defected for deleting the cover, so sorry for posting with an irrelevant response.

If a cop wanted to defect you, he would have to have a valid and legal reason for doing so. The engine cover on the Ecotec doesn't cover any moving parts apart from the serpentine belt and alternator pulley, so removing it doesn't really expose any dangerous conditions which could place a person at risk whilst working on the engine. (After all, the rest of the serpentine belt and other pulleys are fully exposed so why would the section under the cover be any different?) The purpose of that cover is twofold - 1. Aesthetics (looks) and 2. Sound dampening. (the sound deadener underneath is also a heat mat to protect the cover from heat damage, but the combination of the cover and the deadener would reduce engine noise a little bit. Those sorts of things matter these days).

So, if anybody was booked for removing the cover, it would be very difficult for police to justify doing so if you appealed at court or made written representations. The law is stricter these days and there are variations in laws between the States, but, in my humble opinion, getting booked for deleting the engine cover on an Ecotec would be as sensible as getting booked for taking the chromed extension off the end of your exhaust.

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
^^^^ some should get booked for the exhaust tips they put on

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yes I have been defected for it , wasn't the main reason I got the a Defect, but he pointed it out and wrote it down on the form ...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the engine covers used on Ecotec's and LS engines are purely used for asthetic reasons and to supress engine noise.
all defects that are issued, are issued under the Vehicle Safety Standard regulation/AIS Code of Practice. Unless the removal of an engine cover breaches a section of these documents (which to my knowledge it doesn't) then it can't be issued.....

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Yes I have been defected for it , wasn't the main reason I got the a Defect, but he pointed it out and wrote it down on the form ...

did you put one back on to pass it?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Apparenly it's to do with fire; if a fuel line let go under the cover then the cover would stop fuel spraying through the engine bay, or some **** like that. Whatever the reasons are, I've heard/read that it's a defectable "mod" LOL.

Not sure a plastic cover will make any difference what so ever if a fuel line under high pressure (ie efi) lets go. Atomized fuel is a recipe for a car burned to the ground either way. I can't see why the absence of a engine cover would be detectable either. I call urban myth on this one.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
a brand new wrx can be defected due to its kit.

How is that?? Are you saying that Subaru are selling a car that does not comply with Australian Design Rules??? I'd be amazed if that were the case. I'm no fan of the police but c'mon - in my experience cars get defects for a 100% valid reason.

Reaper