Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone dissapointed with their W375 Package

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Come 2018, I think we will start to see some real cars on the roads.

I think you are right, but I wonder what we have to give up for them.
The US cars will come with power, but I think we will concede refinement and fit and finish over the cars we drive now.

Steveaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
People generally don't like having something bashed on that they have worked their ass off for, go figure. We are all enthusiasts so appreciate the cars :beer chug:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think you are right, but I wonder what we have to give up for them.
The US cars will come with power, but I think we will concede refinement and fit and finish over the cars we drive now.
At least they seem to finally be taking leaves out of their Euro subsidiaries' playbooks, and getting suspensions waaaay better. New Rustang seems to crap on all before it from a great height in that regard. Even Corvettes are getting decent reviews, these days.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I'm very clueless about V8 stuffs, but given my 4cyl is running something like around 270-ish duration & it's idle smoothness issues are purely about MAP and a lack of static compression, then 230-odd spread over 8 cylinders and with n/a CR should smooth out quite nicely? Is 234-ish high duration in n/a LS-land?

I dunno about other engines but most LS cams are advertised in duration at 50thou for some reason. The spec sheet that came with mine stated a total valve open duration of 286 on the inlet.

Above 230is is generally considered a fair size, my tuner described it as a fairly big cam, but it's on a 114 lobe split so it's very tame for a decently sized cam.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Getting back to Walkinshaw, what is the go with the W310 cars getting around 250 - 260 RWKW and the W375 LS3's getting around 280? Should it be a W345 instead of 375 or what?

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
I think a lot of people are getting emotional about a home grown car. I will stand by what I said, the Commodore is not a fast car. 12 second quarter? Still slow. Compared to smaller, lighter, performance based cars. But it's all relative. The Commodore was never meant to be a sports car. It holds it's own with large cars the world over, but my point is, it's not a "quick" car.

Throw enough money at anything and it will be quick. I've had a Busa, I've ridden an R1, a CBR1000RR and a GSXR1000, they are quick. I've done track work with ZX14, that was scary, too big a bike to throw around a small track where a 600 holds the lap record. During my life I've been exposed to all sorts of cars having worked in the auto industry on just about every level, Euro cars are quick. Jap cars are quick. The W375 isn't really a Commodore anymore, not what is sold by a Dealer anyway, it gets choofed off to a performance shop for modifications.

I'm not saying that other cars are necessarily better, just quicker. The OP says he is disappointed a bit with the end result of a W375, compared to what? That's what I was doing, comparing it to quick cars. As it is, it's not exactly a slug, but when comparing to a car that is actually built for speed and acceleration, and I mean a production car, not something that has had an additional $6K thrown at it, then the Commodore is not a performance car. I think we, as Australians, are too far away from real performance cars. There are a few on the roads, and our legislation makes them out of reach for the average Aussie. Come 2018, I think we will start to see some real cars on the roads.

In the scheme of things, your right Commi and Falcons arnt fast but show me a car that can
1 Seat five adults safely and comfortably
2 Is stylish and has a 5 star safety rating
3 Is a V8 Powered rear wheel drive 6 speed manual that you could drop the kids of at school, fill the boot up with shopping and piss off down the drags and run a couple of 12s passes before picking up the kids after school, and see if you can get one for under 60k too

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Getting back to Walkinshaw, what is the go with the W310 cars getting around 250 - 260 RWKW and the W375 LS3's getting around 280? Should it be a W345 instead of 375 or what?

The 310 package getting 250rwkw on a 6L is probably pretty bang on the money. I would flat out ignore anyone who gets 270+ on a 6L with the same Exhaust/OTR/Tune mods. Their dyno is happy as #### (theres someone on here who claims his auto has 280rwkw out of those mods, its hilarious).

Same for the LS3. That ~290 mark is probably in that accepted area.

Drivetrain loss. Drivetrain loss doesnt work on a static number, its a percentage. So the higher the initial number, the higher the loss looks. So while the 6L looses 60kw at a ~20% drivetrain loss in an auto. That same ~20% of the 375 is actually 75kw which would drop it down to the 300rwkw mark.

Now from there. You can blame 10-20rwkw on lots of factors. Engine not run in, not run in correctly etc etc. Mostly, that is just simply the human factor when it comes to dyno operation. Dyno Sheets are like stories down at the pub. OH YEAH I NAILED THIS CHICK AND SHE WAS A MODEL. Turns out shes a heffa with a peg leg. Dyno sheets are only as truthful as the person operating it. You can strap it loose, tight, tyre PSI, heat, dyno brand, program. Hell, different transmission setups could have different drivetrain loss. It is very possible that the LS3 looses a little more than the 6L.

Personally, I think those missing rwkw are the victims of marketing.

My biggest pet hate, is advertising X KW. Because you can never 100% guarantee a car is going to be the same as the next one off the line. You can never guarantee they will be the same. So that 375 is nothing more than a badge designed to sell packages at an inflated price. You know what happens when you get someone who can do the math? Strap the ####ing car loose and get him his 375.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The way I think about drive train loss through my own thinking over years, and after doing a bit of research lately is that, it takes a fixed amount of torque to turn the torque converter / input shaft in (ideally) a 1:1 gear at a certain speed/rpm (it's fixed). Once the inertia is overcome. Do it at WOT and frictional and thrust losses increase marginally, e.g. through heat. Add a more poweful engine and the frictional and thrust loss increases again marginally, but not linearly. There's not much in it. If it was a % a 1000hp engine on the same driveline as a 300hp engine would suffer massive losses. The correlation between increased torque at the flywheel and at the wheels isn't perfectly direct, but it's not far off.

Not Walkinshaw nor anyone else can tell you exactly what the W310 or W375 puts out at the flywheel. Unless they've measured it. Surely they measure torque and power at the wheels? The rest is an educated guess. In the current market 375 is a nice number!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Not Walkinshaw nor anyone else can tell you exactly what the W310 or W375 puts out at the flywheel. Unless they've measured it. Surely they measure torque and power at the wheels? The rest is an educated guess. In the current market 375 is a nice number!

Thats just it, they can do their test cars and measure the FWKW and say ok cool weve got 5 cars at 365, 5 cars at 385. Lets split the difference. Theres absolutely no way you can guarantee every car has the same RWKW unless you manipulate the dynos to show the number you want.

...but people dont do that.