Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone done an Adrenaline V8 drive day?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I got a V8 drive at Eastern creek for a surprise birthday present and wondering if anyone's done it before?
Is it full stick or is it what I've heard you are only allowed to use first second third gears which would be a bit lame I reckon???

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
How many laps are you doing? I have done a drive day in Perth (barbagallo) So a bit different to Eastern creek. We bought my dad a 5 lap drive for his birthday and me my brother, cousin and her husband and uncle also did the 5 laps at the same time.

My experience was it wasn't a life changing moment lol, I had done a couple track days on my motorbike on the same track so i knew the track and was use to riding my own line, braking and accelerating when i wanted with no one really telling you what to do. In the V8 you have someone next to you giving you some guidance, they set cones and markers on the track showing you where to drive on the track and when to brake and accelerate.

Cause there was 6 of us we all bought the optional USB recording so we could compare times and top speeds ect, my cousins USB didnt work when she got home so basically wasted $50, Video quality on the USB was like 144p quality so not great but shows you lap times and your speed as you go around the track.
Cause we were trying to be competitive you only get 3 laps to get your best times (1 lap if you do the 3 lap drive) because your first and last laps include leaving and returning to the pits.

On our track we only really used 3rd and 4th gear and the quickest i got on the long bask straight was close to 200kph so you do get to go quickish lol felt slow to me as my bike was topping out 5th gear well over 200ks on the same back straight. If you haven't driven a v8 commodore before the car will probably feel quick to you but to me they didnt seem that quick. My vy ss was dynoed at 370rwhp the v8 super cars were advertised as 470hp im guessing at the motor not the wheels. The v8 supercar obviously has slick tyres, race suspension and stripped out interior, rollcage ect. Just a modified commodore or falcon really.

It was a good day but depending on your experience will determine what you think of it. For me was a little underwhelming since i have been on the track with a bike and drive a v8 everyday lol

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That sounds about right. It's a 4 lap drive.
As long as I get to open it right up down the straight I'll be happy I think as I've sat on the hill there a few times watching touring cars back when Brocky, Skaife, Larry, and Wayne gardener was racing and I think it was Lowndes rolled it after a shunt at turn 1 as usual lol. So I've wanted to blast down that straight for about 20 something years...!

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Done it at Wakefield Park. Think i done 5 or 6 laps. Being a short circuit i only got one lap with no real traffic.
I found that if you go in with a positive mind set and talk to the guy and listen to what he says during your first 1 or 2 laps, show some competence and they will be a bit more relaxed with you and let you push a little more.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I watched a load of videos on YouTube thanks axemurderer. It looks like fun though very closely supervised as I spose it needs to be. Most of them are doing 210 down the straight, makes the straight seem very short.
The thing that stands out is how much faster the instructors drove when they do the joyrides. Almost seems like they must have a reduced power switch somewhere for when the publics driving.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I watched a load of videos on YouTube thanks axemurderer. It looks like fun though very closely supervised as I spose it needs to be. Most of them are doing 210 down the straight, makes the straight seem very short.
The thing that stands out is how much faster the instructors drove when they do the joyrides. Almost seems like they must have a reduced power switch somewhere for when the publics driving.

Or they can actually drive the thing!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The way i drive my car, dont need a Adrenaline Drive Day o_O

Kidding

Coff coff

They are apparently quite good, and get to speed of course and learn about basic physics or a vehicle and best approach speeds.
Will help also with ya driving but mind you there are course for that also.

Great to have a quick few laps with

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I did one at Eastern Creek a few years ago, and it was full bore.
Not as satisfying as I thought it would be because I just wanted to drive as quickly and smoothly as fast as I was comfortable with.
The instructor initially praised me for getting it out of pit-lane without stalling it (big deal) but then he ‘spoiled’ it for me by him continually grabbing the steering wheel, encouraging me to bounce off the kerbs, and telling me to slow down. I felt like telling him to just shut up and hang on ....... rather like having the wife with me in the car.
I’m not skiting about my potential prowess or current ability, just saying that it could have been a great experience, but wasn’t.
I would recommend it, and I hope you don’t get a ‘nervous’ instructor.