Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone drag bikes?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone one on here drag bikes. I have been thinking of going out for a sess if the local track opens it to bikes again one day.
Just not sure how I would go. Bike has some decent HP and torque. However my main concern is keeping the front wheel down without anything hanging out the rear to stop it lifting. I have no interest in doing it a lot, as track circuit racing is more of my thing. I just wanted to give it a go for a bit of fun, maybe once or twice.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Lean on the handle bars, and carefully control your right hand!:D

Many years ago, took my '85 GSXR-750 to Calder for a 'Bracket Meeting'...
Went with a mate who had the same bike, but different colour.
We both nominated 11.0 seconds(neither of us had a clue).
He ran an 11.2, I ran 10.8 @ 131MPH on my one and only pass...
He was 40kgs heavier than me, and ran a few consistent 11.2 passes and did very well.
Too much traction is a problem for bikes!:D

It was a whole lotta fun though!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I know on the race track when I used to nail it i had to lean right over. With a bike of a mere 120kg with a full tank its pretty light. Might just have to get used of a few quick starts. Would be good to have some practice for when i get back to racing again. Learning how to handle the bike from that initial take off. Years ago i didn't really hit hard because at Malalla you come off the start and your pretty quickly into your first corner.
Issue with that was I'd quickly slip back in the pack and then be chasing the whole race rather than keeping up with the faster blokes. My bike has really good pull off the initial start compared to the TZs that make 70hp but not until they are up around 10k.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I know on the race track when I used to nail it i had to lean right over. With a bike of a mere 120kg with a full tank its pretty light. Might just have to get used of a few quick starts. Would be good to have some practice for when i get back to racing again. Learning how to handle the bike from that initial take off. Years ago i didn't really hit hard because at Malalla you come off the start and your pretty quickly into your first corner.
Issue with that was I'd quickly slip back in the pack and then be chasing the whole race rather than keeping up with the faster blokes. My bike has really good pull off the initial start compared to the TZs that make 70hp but not until they are up around 10k.

The GSXR didn't spend much of the 400m with its front wheel actually touching tarmac...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oops, double post.