Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone fitted an Airhammer CAI to their LFX engine?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey guys

As title suggests - I just finished fitting mine (mind you it almost seemed like it wouldn't fit together properly - but that's a different story) and went for a drive.

First up, sounded great had more induction note for sure, even when driving. Has a noticeable amount of response down low.

Main issue I'm having is I go up about 3-4K Rev's and it seems like it's not getting enough air? The revs start building some-what lower than usual with less power.

Anyone else has this issue with the LFX trying to adjust to the new air intake? Idling/reving on the spot is no problems at all.

I had put a fair bit of pipe into the air filter though as it wouldn't fit otherwise.. and even then it was a VERY tight fit..

Anyone else have drama's fitting? Hoping to hear mainly from LFX owners as I think this kit i have is slightly different to how it needs to be for fitting as I had to buy more parts for it (roughly $20).

Cheers, here's some pics (FYI not having a go at Mace - Steve helped me out with this one just wanted to know others input on it.) It looks like it's fit straight on with the MAF pipe but It isn't.. had to sort of go on an angle.

I CANNOT feel/hear any air leaks.. but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Just adjusted a little more and the A/F is properly secured onto pipe rather than alot of it in - Still has the same issue though.

Kinda bummed at the moment, went for a drive and you can EASILY hear the induction roar but just the real lack of power that's heaps less than usual. I hope it's a learning thing but I wont find out for 6 months without a license. Only took it for a 30 minute spin around my block few times.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Give it some time to adjust itself. It's only a CAI.....i hope you didn't expect it to become a rocket ship.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Give it some time to adjust itself. It's only a CAI.....i hope you didn't expect it to become a rocket ship.

To many people expect far to much by putting a CAI on there cars , as you say , give it time to re~adjust , but don't expect it tear off down the motorway in a cloud of tyre smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
To many people expect far to much by putting a CAI on there cars , as you say , give it time to re~adjust , but don't expect it tear off down the motorway in a cloud of tyre smoke

Yup, the engine will only take in what it needs to. If it was getting 100% of the required air with the stock intake, then adding a performance one will do nothing. I ran into the same issue with mine. Makes massive noise, but little else.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Yup, the engine will only take in what it needs to. If it was getting 100% of the required air with the stock intake, then adding a performance one will do nothing. I ran into the same issue with mine. Makes massive noise, but little else.

In my view the only way that a preformance CAI system has any benefit to make "real" gains is to have feeding a forced induction system ie supercharged or turbo , you'll get some small benefits on a N/A engine , some more poke down low and mid-range .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
I brought an Airhammer and didn't end up installing it.
The bits just didn't seem to fit properly.
Luckily i got it cheap off ebay, probably why the last guy sold it.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I like how everyone plays the "CAI WILL GIVE NO MORE POWER" card. Where did I say I was expecting more?

Before you put the input in, re-read what I said. I'm having dramas with the engine, when say it's dead power, it's gone from 150kw to 50kw from example. I KNOW it's not supposed to make it go faster, it'll be used in conjunction with other modifications.

What I'm saying is the car dramatically slower. But I cannot see or hear ANY vacuum leaks but it feels like there is one. This is where I wanted input.

I've fitted one to my old car and it was fine, slightly more responsive but no more power. This has more response until about 2500rpm and it sort of dies. As if it's gone from a 3.6L motor to an old excel or something. I can't explain it properly and I'll have another look over the weekend.

Not trying to sound like a cock, but this is the reason i requested LFX owners as I have no idea how these new computers work. I don't understand how it can run so much like **** at that rpm and not throw and codes and idle perfectly. I'm not here to debate about CAI giving more power. You can't get more power trying to give an engine more air when there's the same stock amount coming back out.

@Billy - Yeh it seems the bits didn't fit properly for my behalf also.. Not sure if it's just suited to Series 1 but i would of though it'd be the same.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I like how everyone plays the "CAI WILL GIVE NO MORE POWER" card. Where did I say I was expecting more?

Before you put the input in, re-read what I said. I'm having dramas with the engine, when say it's dead power, it's gone from 150kw to 50kw from example. I KNOW it's not supposed to make it go faster, it'll be used in conjunction with other modifications.

What I'm saying is the car dramatically slower. But I cannot see or hear ANY vacuum leaks but it feels like there is one. This is where I wanted input.

I've fitted one to my old car and it was fine, slightly more responsive but no more power. This has more response until about 2500rpm and it sort of dies. As if it's gone from a 3.6L motor to an old excel or something. I can't explain it properly and I'll have another look over the weekend.

Not trying to sound like a cock, but this is the reason i requested LFX owners as I have no idea how these new computers work. I don't understand how it can run so much like **** at that rpm and not throw and codes and idle perfectly. I'm not here to debate about CAI giving more power. You can't get more power trying to give an engine more air when there's the same stock amount coming back out.

@Billy - Yeh it seems the bits didn't fit properly for my behalf also.. Not sure if it's just suited to Series 1 but i would of though it'd be the same.

Don't get your knickers in a bunch mate. Take some videos as an example.

Also, like I said before. Give the computer some time to adjust. It needs more then a 30 minute flog around the street.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
It'd say it's leaning out at those rpm's seeing as that's where it makes most of the torque. Too bad you've lost your license for 6 months because I think it'll get better the more you drive it.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Don't get your knickers in a bunch mate. Take some videos as an example.

Also, like I said before. Give the computer some time to adjust. It needs more then a 30 minute flog around the street.

Haha like I said wasn't trying to be a cock, just trying to say it directly to the point.

Wasn't 30 minutes it was alot shorter than that haha - I can understand that they need to adjust but it's just weird how bad it is. Still believe it's a vacuum leak or something to do with the PCV hose. Will re-do it this weekend and have a look.

I can't take a video of it as it's not something you can really see but feel. You can feel how restricted it is. It's like having your exhaust and putting your hand on the end of it for an example. Hard to explain but i will look into it.

It'd say it's leaning out at those rpm's seeing as that's where it makes most of the torque. Too bad you've lost your license for 6 months because I think it'll get better the more you drive it.

This could also be true, I was hoping somebody with the same engine could clarify if they had the same problems. Got my exhaust going on this weekend also so i'll have a fiddle around.