Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone fitted double din to VS?

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
G'day
I've got a great JVC double din headunit that i want to install into my VS Commodore,is it just a matter of taking out other headunit,locating security LED to another posistion and removing(with a hacksaw?)those other bits that would be in the way?
Just thought i'd ask before i do damage before i started.
IF no to the Double din,these are the other audio eqipment that i already have:

Headunits
Pioneer DEH-P5850MP
Sony CDX-GT550 X-PLOD
JVC KW-XC777 (double din,tuner/cassette/cd)
Amplifiers
Focal FP 5.500 5 Channel
Alpine MRP-F240 V-Power 4/3/2 channel
Sony XM 754HX X-PLOD 4/3/2 channel
Speakers
Focal K2 Splits
Alpine R Series Splits
Eclipse 6 1/2 inch Components
MB Quartz
Subwoofers
Focal 10" in box
JBL 1000w 10" in box
Berserk 10" tuned and ported in box
Boss Audio 800w 10" in box
Mixing these systems in my EF Falcon was good,because the falcon is a lot more roomier,and you can install a double din headunit no worries at all.
But in my Commodore,there is less room (acousticly speaking),plus the car is dual fuel,so obviously with the lpg behind rear seat,that limits your options somewhat.
Which of these would be a better setup (acousticly)for the interior of a VS Commodore?
Has anyone fitted a double din unit to their car?if so, WHERE?
Thanks for looking at my dilemma

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
With the double din head unit you will have a huge problem as the heater box is just behind the "second din" so it wont fit. If you do a search you might be able to find a thread from a few years back with some pictures of a guy who did it but instead of making the single din a dual din by cutting down he cut up and then bogged/fiberglassed it to make it look decent. In my opinion it didn't look right and it is going to be ALOT easier for you just to get a single din unit.

EDIT: Did a quick search for the thread I was talking about and this is the one. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/82374-vs-double-din.html

Last edited:

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
thanks for reply RoboticCherry-Coke,i'll suss out the link.
but then again,i live in queensland,so i dont need a heater??? hmm ,or would there be other issues that would come back to haunt me?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Thats ok its no problems, oh and welcome to the forum.

As for the heater thing I am not sure how you would go about removing it or what issues you would encounter. Do a bit of a search and if you can't find anything make a new thread in the VR-VS section. But without the heater box I imagine the headunit would fit fine with little modification.