Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slug powered VZ, Cross 8 VZ, VE Calais & ya mum.
Finished the extra rear loom off at the front. Tesa tape. Tucked away along the factory loom.

E0E811E6-3858-47FC-A9A0-9E88131C3807.jpeg

Added some labels because it’s the only way to know what they are without a diagram. If someone opens this up, they will know straight away.
I dislike the extra camera cable like that, but it will have to do. I’ve never made an RCA cable before, and not being able to test it, I’m not going to make that moment now. I think in hind sight, next time, I will do away with the RCAs and convert to wire. Factory VE VF camera works fine via two wires. It’s not a long distance for the signal to run.
It includes two or three spare wires for adding lighting to the tray area at a later date. That will be led strip hidden under aluminum u channel along the lid and switched with a extra long Narva door switch.

AA5C56CE-D75B-4FA1-B578-971E360CCCA0.jpeg

This is the rear firewall where the loom exits the interior. Rear seat is still out, showing the storage compartments that are under the seats.
Still have seal up the hole I made in the seal. Left a little extra inside if I ever have to maneuver the loom grommet for some reason. Handy.
Will reconnect the earth after I clean it up a bit.

Also fixed in the speaker looms and reattached the splitters. Held with Velcro. Labeled on the top and labeled on the connections.

584A2A42-1D4D-425F-AB20-1638AB1BB4A5.jpeg

C183051D-051E-4EAB-87F7-164EFCF5CD0F.jpeg

Cable tied along the factory loom. I’ve added foam along the factory loom to protect from rubbing.

B19071DF-4C77-4BEE-BBD4-CCD725932A24.jpeg

All the looms terminate/are plugged around the kick panel just as the factory looms do. That way if the dash ever comes out, the looms I’ve added are disconnected in the same place and make the job as easy as possible. All are labeled to make it easy if someone else does work on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess once I seal that grommet, I start putting the interior back in.

Then to start cleaning the underneath of the car.
Clean the lifetime of grot and oil from the engine and trans.
Clean the wheel wells.

Paint the wheels.

Fix drive shaft

Bumper back on.

Detail the paint.

Last edited:

Jolls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Following with great interest. Once I get the pedal wiring sorted we will get her tuned and registered. Then I will be working on the rest of the electrical, interior and finally paint. Your guide so far has been extremely helpful in my planning.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Today, I got the non existent seal on the ac ducting to the rear. There never was a seal on this duct and every Commodore has poor airflow to the back. So I have already done proper seals on the other ducts. Just this one almost unreachable main one under the HVAC.

I tried a few foam types and sizes. Also if putting the seal on the inside of the duct or outside of the duct from the HVAC was better. It’s definitely better on the outside of the main duct.

4EF7C99D-5086-45A0-A259-F2A4D4736D1F.jpeg

I used thin pvc foam. Then wrapped the outside with tesa tape. This allows the ducts to slide on easier and not get stuck long term.

6D26647B-9C8C-453D-B101-2D0660B4C252.jpeg

It’s not as tidy as I’d like, but I had to use a trim tool to position it because there’s no way hands will fit. It’s going to have to do.

I think that disused plug for the front cigarette lighter will be handy to use for the lighting under the hard lid.

997F6121-2492-40F2-A388-3B6DD4B1536F.jpeg

The duct fits so well and I’m happy with the result, overall. (Bit hard to see the other end under the HVAC.)

Also finished off the loom from the kick panel to the back of the head unit. Has the video, reverse trigger wire and also included a brake light trigger wire for a forward facing parking camera. I made sure the loom can be removed without fuss, and didn’t fowl any of the HVAC actuators movements.

Still waiting for the gear shifter boot to come from the UK. Then I can get the gear selector back in. I recall, it’s a hard job getting the boot to stay on the plastic pins, so this time I’m using a flexible glue as well.