Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Powdercoat either peels off or sticks forever. It can be a toxic sticky bastard if it gets hot, more like plastic or tar than paint. Got access to anybody's sandblaster/beadblaster? Or a gas mask and blowtorch to burn it off outside?
Unfortunately not. Would love to have it media blasted and galvanised.

So I guess I keep moving around a fair bit, rather than focusing on one spot?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’d burn off the paint and rust with a oxy torch if you have one, then look at how much it costs to hot dip galvanise it. Then you can consider whether you want to also paint it for aesthetics or leave it raw gal....

https://hartway.com.au/technical-information/galvanizing-costs/

https://hartway.com.au/technical-information/faqs/

(
edited: it’s always worth ringing for a price as it may surprise you in a good way. Hartway seem like a big group so they may not be interested in such a small jobs but they may be able to put you in contact with one of their customers who may be interested in adding a tow bar to one of their galvanising jobs. Someone like a trailer manufacturer or towbar manufacturer

Even a blow torch can remove paint though removing rust with one is a little harder.

)

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven’t got a torch :(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven’t got a torch :(
Thats what the internet is for :D

Bunnings also have “trade flame prepare torches“ if oxy is too much... There are different propane mixes that go even higher temps but how well they work at getting rust off, I don’t know though they should manage paint Ok.

Just don’t let the wife know it has uses inside the house as you may end up with a lot of painting to do :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
What will you be towing? Anything substantial, and I'd be looking to replace the tow bar...
Most of the rust pits will turn into 'stress raisers'.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The most it’s ever going to tow is a 7x4 box trailer.

Went and got it out in the sun and it’s not too bad. I’m going clean it up with what I’ve got. I’ll get a media blasting quote and a galv quote from the mob you linked before. Helpful website.

it’s not going to be in the budget to replace the tow bar :( It might not be in the budget to get it blasted etc but will see.

Still have the drive shaft boot to do.
Maybe the front control arm bushes (which are a lot different on the Crosstrac fitted cars) Headunit to get. Registering it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
What will you be towing? Anything substantial, and I'd be looking to replace the tow bar...
Most of the rust pits will turn into 'stress raisers'.
Surely the towbar manufacturers would build a large safety factor into their bars via thicker tube wall thickness to counter such pitting issues. I‘d think this would especially be the case considering many rear bars on utes get a pounding from stones and mud kicked up by the rear wheels, making rust inevitable :oops:

Obviously if pitting is really bad, unless one knows 100% its not an issue, it’s always safer to replace. However, I’ve never heard of anyone doing such and other than snapped tow balls, I’ve never heard of a failed bar (recalls for material, welding or other defects excluded)...

And from an engineering perspective, does pitted metal that is galvanised still have the same stress raiser issues or is the zinc that fills the pits and increases the metal thickness an effective counter to such?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
My brain hurts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Surely the towbar manufacturers would build a large safety factor into their bars via thicker tube wall thickness to counter such pitting issues. I‘d think this would especially be the case considering many rear bars on utes get a pounding from stones and mud kicked up by the rear wheels, making rust inevitable :oops:

Obviously if pitting is really bad, unless one knows 100% its not an issue, it’s always safer to replace. However, I’ve never heard of anyone doing such and other than snapped tow balls, I’ve never heard of a failed bar (recalls for material, welding or other defects excluded)...

And from an engineering perspective, does pitted metal that is galvanised still have the same stress raiser issues or is the zinc that fills the pits and increases the metal thickness an effective counter to such?

I made the post as I have seen a similar towing set up fail leaving a servo after refueling.
It was a VX towing a small van, after the refuel, the VX drove forward but the van never moved...
The tow ball, the tongue and part of the hitch were still attached to the van. Most of the tow bar was still on the VX...
It was very rusty in the tube the tongue inserts and mounts in. Looked very similar to the pics Fu posted earlier.
Rust pits will always cause stress raisers unless you can blend them out completely.
Wouldn't be a problem on the tongue, but the internal pits inside the main tube would be the worry...