Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
***Edit***
This thread is a combination of two threads (thanks mods :) ) that were merged and moved to this section of the forum.
I have been posting the little things I’m doing to the car, and the bigger ones because some might be interested in the mundane, and it’s a good way for me to use the thread as a diary of what I’ve done each day and organise my work a bit for my own benefit.

I hope you enjoy it and it helps you with your Crewman.

——————————————————
Edit on the edit:
What’s a Cross 8? Well this shows one pretty well and what it’s capable of.

Looking to buy another Crewman. I love my Crewman. It's perfect for what we do.
I've done cool things to mine, spotless and it looks great, but it's a 6.

Who has a Cross 8 Adventura or Crewman? Do you like it? @gungazza was it you that has one?

I've found some interesting things I never knew.

The VYII is badged as VZ.
They have a VY Adventura front. (Haven't found what date the VZ front bonnet and lights carried over on the Cross 8 etc.)

I'm happy to trade down from an '07 to an '05. When it comes to it, all these years will need similar work now and I'm proficient enough to do it.

Hoping to swap wheels, my black suede roof and trims, Apple CarPlay system over.

My V6 eats fuel easy enough lugging the weight of the Crewman around at times so fuel will probably come out the similar not having to work the thing as much with an 8.

This will be a long term car. Engine rebuild later type stuff.

Thoughts on the GenIII?

Also looking for an '07 SS VZ Crewman with the 6.0ltr.

In a couple of years, I want to upgrade to a VE 6speed gear box and do a conversion if I find an auto, and am about to dive into the manuals to see what parts are different where the transfer case bolts to on a Cross 8 v an SS. I know it will bolt up to the motor and mount fine. Yes it's doable with a digital conversion loom adapter from the US.

Edit: Some honest thoughts about the Adventra.

*Edit* About the Cross8
http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vz/vz-crewman.html

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Can’t help you with a Cross8, but I have its ‘little’ brother.
It only had 80Km when I bought it second hand 7 years ago, it appeared to have been well maintained apart from a heap of dog claw scratches on the outside of the tub. Since the I have done 60Km with no problems. Mainly travelling around the great brown land, with a fuel consumption in the low 9s. Local usage sees about high 10s > low 11s.
I have found the AWD handling on unsealed roads to be brilliant, no skittering or sliding on a loose surface. And the old fashioned 4 speed gearbox has proved to be more durable than the Adventra V6s 5 speed.
The Allotec version can be as good or as bad any other Alloytec, so far I may have been lucky. And perhaps the V8 capable drive train is not as highly stressed by the lower output of the Alloytec.

I would have liked a V8 but at the time, the available ones had big Kms, and now the available ones have even bigger KMs, so I wish you luck in finding one that hasn’t been used as a tradies hack, has been well maintained, and not waiting on automotive death row.
You are right about the VY, VY2 and VZ models. Bit confusing at first look. A 6.0 would be a rare find now.
Happy searching.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found an SS 6ltr manual. Hope the funds come together in time.
Found an '04 Cross 8 VY2 with 100000K's less than my current '07. In good condition by the look. The Later VZ Cross 8's are out of my price range.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 3.09.03 pm.png

The '04 & some '05 VYII which seems to be build plated as a VZ. The foglights sit external to the moulding. The VY Calais Headlamps with the projector lamp.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.30.44 am.png

The '05 VZ with VZ front update. The foglights have the black moulding fit into what is a stock underlying bumper.
There were no Cross 8's made with 6.0ltr, just LS1's. Wait. Is the 6.0ltr still an LS1 as well? (Technically)

*edit* They were made with a 6ltr. Read on.
*edit* The bumpers are one piece. The grills are closer to a VZ Monaro shape than a standard VZ grill. A slight different shape, thickness of the plastic bar either side of the logo is different. There is a slight bump in the coloured part of the bar under the logo and standard 2WD’s don’t.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
There were no Cross 8's made with 6.0ltr, just LS1's. Wait. Is the 6.0ltr still an LS1 as well? (Technically)

They must exist (somewhere in the wilds, with the drop-bears) perhaps 150 ? Here are some references :

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/holden-crewman-used-car-review-117931

https://www.carsguide.com.au/holden/crewman/price/2006/cross--8

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/forum/ask-our-members/holden-cross-8/

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Holden&model=Crewman&gen=339

Perhaps don your deer stalker cap, and start your Search for the Holy Grail.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That Shannon’s post was pretty cool. I had read they stopped making the VZ Cross 8 in ‘05 because they stopped making the LS1 locally.

I have a feeling an ‘06 might be out of my price range though. Finding a few ‘05 around $20K

Edit in for page 1 of the thread:
Cross8 EV Conversion ideas:
https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=2412

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ yes, that would be good, but now, the horse has bolted, and who is going to start something like that ? The initial figures from Holden would be near impossible to get, and even HSV are a bit 'funny' about their early build numbers.
All the States rego authorities would have to tapped, (yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus) for somebody to start a register.
A NSW RMS rego check shows my Crewman as '2005 Blue Holden VZ Crew Cab AWD Utility. VIN xxxxxxxxxxx1234'. Hardly informative in the big picture, but, personally no more than what I would like publicised.
There was a thread on the Ford Forums about 'how many are left' , but it was all based on speculation, and I can't find it now.
I think that such a register, now, would be a mission a bit too far.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
no fu I just have a crewman s

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
3,6lt trying to down load pics but again having probs downloading pics oddasy blue

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So there are VY2 Cross6 and Cross8 that are plated as VZ(?). Have VY bonnet, lights and front bumper.

What date (Month) in '04 did they start producing the VZ (VY2 looking) Cross 8 Crewman?
What month did they start building the VZ looking Cross 8?

I think I've read it was August '04? I can't find anything to verify it.

Any one know where to find this stuff? (Not Wikipedia)