Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a WK Statesman?

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Hi guys.

Thinking about buying the above. Can anyone tell me if there are any dramas about replacing the standard head unit with something a bit more beefier? I heard somewhere that some features of the car rely on the head unit, and it upsets things like climate control etc.
Also wondering where the '10 speakers' come in. Does it have Subs already installed?
I haven't had a close look at this type of car yet, so I have no idea!

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
I don't own one, But work with them Often!

Sound system Contains:

x2 tweeters up on Front dash ---
x2 Mid range in Front Doors --- Both part of Component set
x2 Mid range in rear Doors (These are a 2way co-ax)
x2 Tweeters in rear roof (Near rear vanity mirror lamps)
x2 Mid woofers on the rear Parcel shelf

The front unit can be quite a pain, Generally speaking the rest of the system needs the front H/u to work properly!
For one, The upper dash LCD screen receives all information from the headunit, Remembering; time adjust, volume displays are all shown via the synced screen. Removing the H/u, Will result in that top screen only showing Air con control settings. (Date will also be Jan [Of when car was released])
The rear screens, and DVD player both also link to the front H/u. There maybe a way to sync the H/u to the screens and DVd player, But like many have said it just wouldn't be worth the cost. Put it this way, There is no simple solution!
If you are after addition sound, Your better of throwing a Bit one or the likes and keeping it all factory!

Cheers,
Super6

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Thanks for the reply and info.
I thought the rear DVD screens only came in the Caprice? I don't really know - as I've said, I haven't done a huge amount of research.
Reason I was asking, is I've got quite a nice Kenwood unit with integrated GPS, and a 7 inch touch screen. Be a shame to let it go to waste, but if it's going to upset everything else, I won't be installing it.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
My Bad, Yes Screens only came in the Caprice - May have been a factory option though for Statesman?

In short yes, The Kenwood would not be worthwhile. In you are after GPS try finding Factory fitted, Or buy the separate unit.

Cheers.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Bit of a shame, the Kenwood setup cost about 2.5k. But, I'm in love with the WK, so if I buy one, it'll stay stock. Might see what I can set up if/when I get one.

Thanks again.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Sorry, I am still thinking Caprice.

Wiring it into a "WK Statesman" shouldn't be too hard. First thing you would need to do, Is sort the low outputs on the Headunit (RCA) and make / buy suitable adaptors to fit the stock Amplfier (Providing you will use stock). You don't have the rear DVD player to sync to, So no drama's here.

I run a WL interior in my VY, So i have the top LCD dash with an aftermarket H/u. I wired the Alpine wiring harness to a stock plug, And have kept the original Headunit for adjustments on the top screen. You will have to perform a 'live swap' if you want to keep the time correct. This means for any disconnect of the battery, You will need the stock headunit to calibrate time etc.

By 'live swap', I fit the WL H/u as stock, With the battery connected i swap the factory H/u with my Alpine one (As said, with stock harness so its: Unplug -> Plug in), And the top screen works fine.

Hopefully we'll see a WK in your Threads soon enough ;)

Cheers.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
So it should all work ok then, as long as I have the wiring for the outputs on my Kenwood right?
I bought an adapter from Super Cheap when I installed this unit in my current car, so I'm presuming I should be able to get one for the WK then....
No, wait. You said to use the low outputs on the Kenwood, so you wouldn't wire it into the normal speaker outputs, right? Hmmmm....it's been so long since I looked at the back of my Kenwood unit, I'm not 100% sure what outputs are there. I do know it has the sub outputs as I'm running a sub in my boot from them right now....

Peach89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Sorry, I am still thinking Caprice.

Wiring it into a "WK Statesman" shouldn't be too hard. First thing you would need to do, Is sort the low outputs on the Headunit (RCA) and make / buy suitable adaptors to fit the stock Amplfier (Providing you will use stock). You don't have the rear DVD player to sync to, So no drama's here.

I run a WL interior in my VY, So i have the top LCD dash with an aftermarket H/u. I wired the Alpine wiring harness to a stock plug, And have kept the original Headunit for adjustments on the top screen. You will have to perform a 'live swap' if you want to keep the time correct. This means for any disconnect of the battery, You will need the stock headunit to calibrate time etc.

By 'live swap', I fit the WL H/u as stock, With the battery connected i swap the factory H/u with my Alpine one (As said, with stock harness so its: Unplug -> Plug in), And the top screen works fine.

Hopefully we'll see a WK in your Threads soon enough ;)

Cheers.

When you say "kept the stock H/u", do you mean its wired up still or not? I'm in the same boat only with WL Caprice, I want to put a aftermarket H/u in and still retain top LCD display aswell as cluster, plus also have steering wheel n roof controls... Im about 70% atm that i cant have all this

TRIMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Stato
i bought a 7inch double din screen for my wk stato..only dramas ive been told is you will lose date and time/ track 1 cd 1 on the screen in the center console although the climate control will still show and on ur dash underneath the speedo youll lose the above aswell. oh and im pretty sure u lose the buttons on the steering wheel.

in my opinion not a major lose - the only drama im having is getting the stock headunit out as it requires a special tool or something like that (tried the coat hanger trick)

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
When you say "kept the stock H/u", do you mean its wired up still or not? I'm in the same boat only with WL Caprice, I want to put a aftermarket H/u in and still retain top LCD display aswell as cluster, plus also have steering wheel n roof controls... Im about 70% atm that i cant have all this

The best i could work out was to still have the date, However everytime power was lost you would have to put the stock headunit back in to reset. You can maintain steering controls for certain, Roof controls 'could' be possible, I guess it would be similar unit used as the steering wheel controls, However you would need to do all the cutting soldering yourself if it is possble (Put it this way, No ready to use kits unlike for the steering wheel controls).
I'll mention it because it's now the route i have chosen, Have you thought about using a processor? You'll get better sound, And maintain the stock look (The reason i have now gone back to the stock unit).

Cheers